Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this forum. I see 'veteran' used though I have never thought as being one! I have been running since 1980 and am 63. I wonder what that makes me?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
does this mean you are going to enter a race?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd say it makes you one of the maddest people here in a bunch of mad people! Running for 28 years that's some achievement! Long may it continue! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, I was most suprised to see two pages of comments on "what am i?" I never have had any lack of motivation but I am hardly a fast runner like you people! I go out now Monday/Wednesday/Saturday mornings. Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday I do weights at home. Friday is my rest day though last year I brought a Dahon Folder to go with my touring cycle. I have a disabled rail pass and the folding cycle is brilliant as I can now ride around places I could not reach before! Do any of you people keep a 'running record'? Mine is the calender behind our pantry door! I put 'R' when I go out and tot up the lot in December....I seem to average 250 miles a year.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I keep mine on the blog on this forum I can watch my improvements then all be it sloooowwwwlllly :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Yup... I tend to use the feature on this forum to document all my training, though it's also all stored in my computer as most of my runs are done with my Garmin :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello, With all this rain we are getting in England its dead hard running through mud out in the hills! It was dry when I went running this morning but raining when I got back home after my run! Wet on the inside and outside! If you want to last as long as me you must have a 'easy' way of running and not get obsessed about it....like insisting going running in pouring rain! I used to be like that....like taking my running gear on a holiday to Pangor Island in the Straights of Sumartra and trotting around a football pitch fifteen? times. (3 miles??) It was so hot and humid I had to stand in a swimming pool for ages to cool off....dont do that anymore!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two Years on!

Hello, I have not looked in on this forum for some time. I suppose its down to being that going running is such a normal thing to me that I do not think anything of it! Its a bit hard running now as I am on a beta-blocker and Warfarin after a load of embolisms appeared on my lungs two years ago! The beta-blocker make my legs feel like lead on the 1-4 stretch of hill I run up and I pant like hell, but my recovery rate seems very quick! I am now pushing 65 which seems unreal to me, it was always other people who were this age...not me! Mind you in my mind I feel around 40 and retirement is really wonderfull! Another three muddy miles tomorrow for me around the local hills...

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Hi Bill, nice to see you are still getting out on those hills despite your health problems during the last two years. Long may you continue to run.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I put my records on here and on my computer where I've got a graph of my average speed (slow). But I can see progress that way.
If Vets are over 35 or 40, couldn't us over 60s have another name? After all, 40 to 60 is a massive jump isn't it?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts