Runners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there to every1 as i'm new to the forum ;)

Quick intro my name is Gary ,36, from Lichfield Staffs and I've taken up running again for the past 6 weeks as i'm targeting a half marathon in Oct and full marathon next year.

The problem is i've got an ankle injury and i don't know how i got it as i haven't tripped or slipped over. Its on my inner left ankle where its all swollen on the ankle and above where it hurts to touch.I've got a bit of bruising below the ankle on the base of my foot.

My training was going so well but now its come to a complete stop:( as i can't walk on it let alone run.Its been like it since last Thursday so i went to the minor injuries ward last night and they said it was a soft tissue injury,whats that?

I dont know if i've been upping my distance to much but i started in week 1 doing 1-2 mile jogs every other day whereas last week i was doing 6-8 mile jogs every other day,is this too much? After 4-5 mile my breathing is normal so i continued upping my mileage:huh:

I'm running with Brooks trainers after going to Sutton runner so its not the trainers.
Any help?

Cheers Gaz;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Have a look at www.physioroom.com and look up posteria tibilasis (post tib) but I would recommend that you consult a decent sports physio/therapist and not rely on internet diagnosis.

I would maybe consider doing a race and following a training programme for that race and maybe intially stick to 3 or 4 sessions a week. With maybe one longer run, one slower run and one faster run. Make sure you warm up before runs and stretch out thoroughly afterwards.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It depends where you live. I would try your local running shop or running club and see if they would recommend anyone in particular.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to see sports physio last night and he said i had posteria tibilasis.:(

Injected me with anti-inflamatory around the ankle plus he strapped it up and said i can't run on it for at least 2 weeks:(

Just as i was getting into running again.My fault though as he said after 6 weeks i should only be running half an hour not an hour....too much too soon i think:rolleyes:

Thx Anyway Gaz

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
No problem and I'm glad you got yourself sorted 2 weeks isn't that bad. Just remember when you return to running to build up gradually and not to increase your mileage or time spent running by no more than 10% a week. Have a look at www.runinjuryfree.com for some training plans. Did the physio give you any strengthening exercises to do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.