Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there to every1 as i'm new to the forum ;)

Quick intro my name is Gary ,36, from Lichfield Staffs and I've taken up running again for the past 6 weeks as i'm targeting a half marathon in Oct and full marathon next year.

The problem is i've got an ankle injury and i don't know how i got it as i haven't tripped or slipped over. Its on my inner left ankle where its all swollen on the ankle and above where it hurts to touch.I've got a bit of bruising below the ankle on the base of my foot.

My training was going so well but now its come to a complete stop:( as i can't walk on it let alone run.Its been like it since last Thursday so i went to the minor injuries ward last night and they said it was a soft tissue injury,whats that?

I dont know if i've been upping my distance to much but i started in week 1 doing 1-2 mile jogs every other day whereas last week i was doing 6-8 mile jogs every other day,is this too much? After 4-5 mile my breathing is normal so i continued upping my mileage:huh:

I'm running with Brooks trainers after going to Sutton runner so its not the trainers.
Any help?

Cheers Gaz;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Have a look at www.physioroom.com and look up posteria tibilasis (post tib) but I would recommend that you consult a decent sports physio/therapist and not rely on internet diagnosis.

I would maybe consider doing a race and following a training programme for that race and maybe intially stick to 3 or 4 sessions a week. With maybe one longer run, one slower run and one faster run. Make sure you warm up before runs and stretch out thoroughly afterwards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply

Can you recommend a good company online or is it best just to go through the yellow pages for a physio?

Cheers Gary

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It depends where you live. I would try your local running shop or running club and see if they would recommend anyone in particular.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to see sports physio last night and he said i had posteria tibilasis.:(

Injected me with anti-inflamatory around the ankle plus he strapped it up and said i can't run on it for at least 2 weeks:(

Just as i was getting into running again.My fault though as he said after 6 weeks i should only be running half an hour not an hour....too much too soon i think:rolleyes:

Thx Anyway Gaz

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
No problem and I'm glad you got yourself sorted 2 weeks isn't that bad. Just remember when you return to running to build up gradually and not to increase your mileage or time spent running by no more than 10% a week. Have a look at www.runinjuryfree.com for some training plans. Did the physio give you any strengthening exercises to do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No he didn't give me any excerises to do but i've got to go back tonight.

He also said he was going to sort some insole arches for me as my foot looks flat.

Gaz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts