Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by which i mean ones that you would encourage others to travel a reasonable distance to.

given the liking for xc and distance that seems to prevail on this board i would recommend next year's charnwood hills. 13.5 ish miles, 1200 feet of climbing but no really steep downhills. tends to get a bit muddy in parts. see http://www.charnwoodrace.f9.co.uk/ for details. you have missed this year's though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
chrisity said:
by which i mean ones that you would encourage others to travel a reasonable distance to.

given the liking for xc and distance that seems to prevail on this board i would recommend next year's charnwood hills. 13.5 ish miles, 1200 feet of climbing but no really steep downhills. tends to get a bit muddy in parts. see http://www.charnwoodrace.f9.co.uk/ for details. you have missed this year's though.
The Beadnell to Alnmouth Coastal Run in Northumberland (approx 14 miles) is a good one...

http://www.alnwickharriers.co.uk/coastal_run.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to suggest 2 races, 1st has to be Dartmoor Discovery, even thou I have yet to run it (entered for this year). I went to support last year and this race seams to make a weekend out of it with many people staying the whole weekend in the local accommodation which really adds to the atmosphere and make this race extra special..

on the other hand, if you wanted a shorter race and will be willing to travel for a 10K then I like the Westonbirt 10K, its very scenic and has great support. but, I'm not to sure if it warrants a big car journey to attend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Windsor half....I've not actually run it myself planning on doing it this year but everyone I have spoken to who has done it highly recommends it. It's a tough one but very scenic (oh and the beer tent organised by the other forum does help!!)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm a bit sad... my favorite races are my local ones - I just love getting up, jogging or cycling to the start and then going home for a shower before the pub!
- Cabbage Patch 10 miler
- The Kingston 8.2 and 16 milers.
- The weekly BPTT

I also really really really enjoyed the Brighton 10km last year.

Also I guess I'd better own to loving Windsor half too (since I was Ailsa's brother last year!) although this year I won't be running it as I'm running GNR the week after.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
There are so many.... but I have to say the Great West Run has always been a favourite, not sure why but the atmosphere is great.
I enjoyed Westonbirt last year too AC, and will be going back.
Dartmoor is indeed special, everything about it is special, which is why I keep going back for more.
The Bramley 20 has become a favourite, having run it two years now.
I loved Copenhagen marathon 2 years ago and I'm looking for ward to going back this year.

But as I say, I have so many favourite races...probably why I'm racing so much :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Beachy Head Marathon, great race, great atmosphere and it's run on a saturday, so you can have a well deserved drink saturday night, and a full day to recover before work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts