Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooray for the return of the light evenings !!

It's brilliant to get out and back just before it gets dark.

Some wonderful running spots where i live just got back from an 8 miler 6 of which along the beach didn't see a soul for 40 mins ,just the sound of the waves crashing on the shore and the birds contentedly feeding on the muscle beds .

Absolute heaven.

So what are your favourite runs?:d

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, thank goodness the days are now giving us more options!

This time of year (and fortunately not for too much longer) I have to train in the gym at lunchtime and I only ever get out on the road at the weekend. I love the roads around here, very rural with lots of fresh air. This morning I saw a deer, I followed a pheasant along the road for a while and I even saw a Llama! I always see the odd rambler, horse rider and families out walking, oh and if I'm really lucky (not!) I'll see the odd car. The runs can be as challenging or as easy as you want them to be, which was ideal for building up my stamina.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Must admit I normally like being a city boy (well, boy at heart) but am envious when I read posts like these about running routes on beach or in country. Also still pitch black up here (Glasgow) when I run home from work at 6 :(

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I like the dark... which is just as well, because I'd hardly ever be able to get out running if I waited for the lighter mornings/evenings.
Like Cheriton mentioned, he didn't see anyone for 40 mins during his run: they're the kind of runs I like... when you can feel like the world belongs to you and you have it all to yourself (unlike being in a gym, surrounded by all the other "hamsters").
I do a lot of very early-morning runs (4-30/5-00 am), and these often provide the peace and solitude that I like to get from my running.
In the summer months I get to experience things like the mist lifting from a nearby lake as the sun rises and reflects on the water... and this is in an area that during the day is plagued by dog-walkers and gangs of bored adolescents, who've nothing better to do than shout abuse and litter the place with empty beer cans etc... But when I'm there, the view and the priceless atmosphere of the dawn are mine alone... and an invigorating reward for my efforts. :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
calton1954 said:
Must admit I normally like being a city boy (well, boy at heart) but am envious when I read posts like these about running routes on beach or in country. Also still pitch black up here (Glasgow) when I run home from work at 6 :(
I am a country boy and love off-road running, particularly on the South West Coastal Path but I have had some great city runs. The best was from the Travelodge at London City Airport to the Canary Wharf area. It was about 8.00pm so very few people about, nice wide roads very little traffic and every thing lit up like a Christmas tree. The Canary Wharf area must have a carbon footprint the size of Canada.

In the morning I took the Docklands Light Railway and as it passed the Bank of America I could see all the city types imprisoned behind glass getting their exercise in before work on the treadmills of the company gym. What a strange world those people inhabit.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My most favourite run EVER is along the old deeside rail track from aberdeen to drumoak. It's great, you can even run along up to Drum castle, which is nice. There was no one about, it's mostly just fields and what not. I don't live in Aberdeen though, so when I go back to visit my parents every now and then it's great! It's like being lost, which is a nice feeling... until you realise you are lost. And there's lots of wildlife.

Also I like going roung hazlehead park in Aberdeen. A nice short one. Running along the beach is also awesome...

ANYWAY in Sheffield I absolutely love running through endcliffe park which leads straight through to the peak district. There's always people out, even before 7am... but I love it. Rain or shine. Also there's a trail along a country road just down from where I live now... and that's REALLY nice at sunset... BUT because it's trail it's a wee bit dangerous in bad weather... and the road is always really busy with cars... no matter the time of day!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
One of my favourite runs in is Chatleherault Country Park, just outside Hamilton.

There are quite a few hills, but scenery is great and there a several options for changing the route if you get bored with doing the same one all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lookoing for a running club in cardiff

Hello,
i am Bamikefa Ade, and i am looking for a running club in cardiff that i can join! also, am a student of Glamorgan University and i have some running cartitificates with me and i like running events right from my home country. i we like anyone to put me througt how i can get a club and the best. if you are interested in me, my contact number is 07904155336 or 07766234965. Thank and hope to hear from anyone.

ADE.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BAMIKEFA ADEYINKA said:
Hello,
i am Bamikefa Ade, and i am looking for a running club in cardiff that i can join! also, am a student of Glamorgan University and i have some running cartitificates with me and i like running events right from my home country. i we like anyone to put me througt how i can get a club and the best. if you are interested in me, my contact number is 07904155336 or 07766234965. Thank and hope to hear from anyone.

ADE.
Try Cardiff amateur athletic club . They've got some top ahtletes or what about your universityathletics team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank for these

My favourite runnings are 200m,400m by 100m relay,400 by 400m relay, 800m, 1500m. Thank and hope to hear from you seen.

ADE

Some wonderful running spots where i live just got back from an 8 miler 6 of which along the beach didn't see a soul for 40 mins ,just the sound of the waves crashing on the shore and the birds contentedly feeding on the muscle beds .

Absolute heaven.

So what are your favourite runs?:d[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
172 Posts
My two regular runs are both through local country parks. The first a six miler from my house and along the road for about 3/4 mile to the park which has a varied terrain through woodlands. The only problem is the dogs! ( "It's OK mate, he only wants to play!")
The second is an eight miler along by the River Nene (Pronounced Nenn) and onto a disused railway converted to a walk/cycle path which crosses the river at a number of points and has more rabbits than Watership Down.
I train in the gym until the clocks change at the end of March, I don't enjoy running in the dark, cold winter months.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My favourite runs are up on the downs behind our house! Early morning when you can look down at the trees poking their heads up above the mist or ....as the sun is setting and you can see the whole of the Blackmoor Vale spread out below you in a beautiful orangy glow .... either is absolute heaven! :d

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm a morning run girl...(odd as I hate mornings - but its the only time of day when I can run!)!! When Im in brummyland (as I have been for the past 5 years) I like to run along the canals, their so peaceful early on, and I can nearly forget that Im in a huge city!
Must be said I do miss running back at my parentals house - who live in the bucks countryside..I love running through the fields and never seeing a sole..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Running by the Thames

My two favourite runs take in the River Thames.

The first is a 3 mile loop from Westminster Bridge along South Bank to Blackfriars Bridge and back along by Embankment. I do this some lunchtimes to make up for club track sessions that I miss ;)

The other is a 13-18 mile loop taking in Battersea Park and the Thames running along its North edge - Chelsea Embankment - from Chelsea Bridge to Albert Bridge. This is quite a trek for me, so usually reserved for marathon training.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cheriton said:
Hooray for the return of the light evenings !!

Absolute heaven.

So what are your favourite runs?:d
sounds great, im moving to the coast soon, cant wait :d
and waves crashing? god your not on the east coast! its totally flat on the east coast right now (which means no bodyboarding)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
1ofak1nd said:
sounds great, im moving to the coast soon, cant wait :d
and waves crashing? god your not on the east coast! its totally flat on the east coast right now (which means no bodyboarding)
I live and work in britains first designated area of outstanding natural beauty

Two miles from one of the UK's top surfing spots (LLANGENNITH GOWER)

Reading everyones posts so far just goes to prove that this country after all said and done aint a bad place to live and run is it ;)

Many thanks to all responders to this thread so far !!

Cheriton:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
A favourite run of mine is the Huka falls track along side the start of the Waikato river in the early morning. Fog rises from pockets of thermal activity giving off wiffs of sulphur (not everyone's cup of tea ;) ), the gravel trail crunching under foot, the powerful notes from the river.... its a great place to be :cool:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts