Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading up on a few sites regarding weight training and loosing weight.

They all say that weight training burns more calories than running.....anyone know if this is true???

I know if combined you will obviously loose more, but on its own i mean...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I think running and cycling burn more calories and fat than any other form of exercise. I didn't think weigh lifting burnt nearly as much.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I can't see how weight training burns more?

Per hour I think running is better than cycling but obviously you can cycle for a lot longer/further. Weights could be the same. More per hour but obviously you don't train for as long.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
THis is a good site for estimating calories for different types of exercise at various intensity.

http://www.drgily.com/exercise-calorie-counter.php

For someone who weighs 175lbs the results are as follows:

60 minutes Weight lifting - 498 calories
60 minutes running (7 min miles) - 1120 calories
60 minutes running (10 min miles) - 846 calories
60 minutes cycling at 15mph - 830 calories

You can play around with the numbers, but it seems running is best for calorie burn, followed by cycling. Weight lifting burns least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What they are saying is, that when not weight training, the muscles are still working, i.e. repairing,and still burning calories whilst you are resting.

During the actual workout, i too cant see how you can burn more by just training with weights

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Apparently, muscle burns more calories when you're resting and not doing any exercise. Therefore, the more muscle you have, the more calories you body burns.

As far as doing each activity, I would think that running would burn more calories.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Running and Cross Country Skiing burn more calories than any other sporting activity. It's true that more muscle helps to burn more calories whilst not exercising - but I think the claim that weight training burns more calories isn't true and is a bit misleading since you're still building muscle after hard running sessions ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tend to judge how many calories are being used by how enhaused I feel and consider published guides to energy use as a very rough estimate. I'm pretty good at skating and can go for hours without feeling particularly tired yet beginners that I teach get exhaused after half an hour of going almost nowhere. They aren't using their bodies efficiently so will waste energy. I'm a terrible runner so assume I'll use as much energy going my 10 min miles as, say, someone good doing 6 min miles. So my non-expert advice would be to just go by what your body is telling you. If activity A makes you more exhaused than activity B then assume A is burning more calories.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Weights may well be more useful than you think for the fat burning. I still do weight training once a week and being a geek I wear the heart rate monitor when doing it. Even between sets my hr is 110 - 125 after Ive got going, and my hr is 150+ immediatley after doing a set. Not impressive when compared to my running where it sits at 165 - 175, but, my weight training lasts for 3x the length of time my running does. So is the cumulative effect greater ?

I think the argument for the fat loss with weight training comes from the elevated metabolism you get with it as a result of both what grant's mentioned ( I once read an article suggesting it was an extra 50 calories a day required to maintain every extra lb of muscle - however bear in mind it was Flex magazine !) and the fact that it is anaerobic activity.

I do know that whilst eating probably treble what I do now and doing no aerobic exercise whatsoever for several years when in my late teens to about 26 I had body fat that was lower than now just from 8 hours of weights a week. Couldn't do up my shoe laces or collars myself though so not all good :d

·
Registered
12 Posts
How many calories do you burn each day just by sitting at a desk? I know that 3,500 calories equates to 1 pound of fat, but this seems like near impossible amount to burn off a week by doing running/ weight training alone. I wonder how much gets burnt by regular activity (not including walking to work/ home/pub etc) :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
How many calories do you burn each day just by sitting at a desk? I know that 3,500 calories equates to 1 pound of fat, but this seems like near impossible amount to burn off a week by doing running/ weight training alone. I wonder how much gets burnt by regular activity (not including walking to work/ home/pub etc) :d
I think for a woman in normal day to day activity the body needs about 2000 calories just to maintain weight. If you're more active and take part in some kind of sport you need more...depending on what you do. I think running generally burns something like 100 calories a mile.

Consistant exercise without increasing your calorie intake too much will cause you to lose weight at a healthy steady rate.

If you restrict your intake too much and increase your activity you will just feel hunger and be more inclined to snack on high sugar foods.

·
Registered
835 Posts
When losing weight I found the most efficient method of burning calories was steep incline walking. It was an excellent start for me as I was very unfit and over weight...... and heading back that way at the mo :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
folks, reading this with interest and would say two things: -

1 - weights do not burn as many calories (on equal time) as cardio work, however the muscle built burns calories on an ongoing basis

2 - the point around calories you burn just by being alive and mobile. You do indeed burn calories naturally, the daily calorie intake figures of around 2000-2500 for you is a guide. However this website is quite handy for giving a more accurate figure of your 'standard' requirement - Basal Metabolic Rate for adults

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Weight training does not actually burn off more calories than more cardio-intensive workouts. I think what you may have heard or read was, weight training and thus increasing your bodies muscle mass will lead to your body burning off more calories, even when resting. Muscle (even when resting) burns more calories than body fat, so weight training improves your overall metabolism.

·
Registered
408 Posts
no problem ;-)

was really pleased to read it myself to be honest, very surprising figure but makes sense I suppose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having been a bodybuilder for a number of years I can say that Running or good Cardio work burns more calories. Weight training will burn calories long after the workout, so give the impression that more calories are being burnt. End of the day, you still need to put in the cardio work to burn the fat.

Answer, Running is better for Calorie burning.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Eating 500 calories per day less than you use (BMR + exercise calories), will see a loss of around 1lb of bodyfat. EDIT - that's 1lb per week!

Having more muscle will up your BMR, but not by a huge amount. I'll have a dig around some sports nutrition stuff that I've got, that will give a rough figure (calories per unit extra muscle mass).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts