Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya im a fashion student from DeMontfort University Leicester, i am currently designing sportswear for runners at all levels. I'd like to know what people like to wear when they run in races and in training.

- Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing?
- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.
- Types of fabrics
- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?

I would really appreciate your opinions they will help me to achieve the best out of my designs.
(could you please tell me if you are male or female to help me compare opinions)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I prefer darker colours with reflective strips. I'm not a fan of fluorescent clothing.

Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.
Fitted. Keeps me warmer and is more comfortable to run in.

Types of fabrics
Anything breathable.

How does your race wear compare to your training gear?
I wear the same clothing for races with the addition of my club vest.

(could you please tell me if you are male or female to help me compare opinions)
Male
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
ajtuna said:
I prefer darker colours with reflective strips. I'm not a fan of fluorescent clothing.



Fitted. Keeps me warmer and is more comfortable to run in.



Anything breathable.



I wear the same clothing for races with the addition of my club vest.



Male
Agree with all the above. Not a huge fan of fluo stuff. Fitted is good (esp the fitted tops from Concurve). Has to be breathable although for short runs in the winter I'm not too fussed - will wear cotton T-shirt if the rest is in the laundry basket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
- Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing?

Both... some of my training gear is reflective and some is bright or fluorescent, the main thing is that I can be seen by traffic, especially as I run mainly in country lanes.

- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.

yep, I prefer lycra shorts and leggings as opposed to normal shorts and tracksuits. Although tops need to be a little looser

- Types of fabrics

It has to be a wicking fabric.

- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?

I have to wear club kit for races, lycra shorts or leggings and club vest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I forgot - one thing which would really really really help is slightly bigger pockets on tops. I'm not talking about carrying a week's worth of shopping here, but surely a credit card and train pass is not too much to ask? Most tops don't have pockets, and shorts only have a tiny pocket only suitable for a key. The only top I have which I can comfortably wear when I run home from work is a Concurve one, with a small pocket towards the back whwere I can stick a credit card and my tube pass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Greg said:
The only top I have which I can comfortably wear when I run home from work is a Concurve one, with a small pocket towards the back whwere I can stick a credit card and my tube pass.
Pockets are an often overlooked feature in my opinion. I have some Nike shorts with a pocket at the back which is great for sticking a key in and a couple of quid for a newspaper on the way home. How about some socks with a pocket in? That's something I've never seen. I'd love to see some separate coin pockets so my change doesn't rattle, maybe 2-3 pound coin sized sections.

A long thin pocket on the sleeve of a top for an energy/gel bar would be good as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
ajtuna said:
Pockets are an often overlooked feature in my opinion. I have some Nike shorts with a pocket at the back which is great for sticking a key in and a couple of quid for a newspaper on the way home. How about some socks with a pocket in? That's something I've never seen. I'd love to see some separate coin pockets so my change doesn't rattle, maybe 2-3 pound coin sized sections.

A long thin pocket on the sleeve of a top for an energy/gel bar would be good as well!
Yes! Keys and change rattling! AaaarghhH! How annoying is that! Let's have a few tiny pockets on the sleeves, or somewhere...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Sarah said:
- Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing?

- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.
- Types of fabrics
- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?
  • Male.
  • I buy what I like. Most of my kit seems to be black. I use a reflective bib at night and sometimes a flashing light fore and aft. A more stylish bib would be welcome.
  • I always buy fitted, except for race shorts which I wear 2 sizes too big
  • breathable technical fabric only
  • race kit includes club vest which is horrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
- Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing?I wear a reflective tabbard as most clothes are black or blue
- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.Fitted tights and tops but I like bagyy shorts
- Types of fabricsMust be wicking the best ive found is Helly Hanson Lifa sheer quality
- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?No different except I wear a club vest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Gumps said:
  • Male.
  • I buy what I like. Most of my kit seems to be black. I use a reflective bib at night and sometimes a flashing light fore and aft. A more stylish bib would be welcome.
  • I always buy fitted, except for race shorts which I wear 2 sizes too big
  • breathable technical fabric only
  • race kit includes club vest which is horrible
What's the thinking behind lycra for training and baggy for racing? And why 2 sizes too big?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
To add further: a rear zipped pocket which can fit small keys etc is good. A bigger one for an MP3 player is great.

To answer the others: Wearing large shorts is a hangover from my old proper racing days. I wore the most garish shorts I could so my coach could easily identify me in a mass field. The only ones I could find were too big for me and I have continued to buy this size ever since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Gumps said:
To add further: a rear zipped pocket which can fit small keys etc is good. A bigger one for an MP3 player is great.

To answer the others: Wearing large shorts is a hangover from my old proper racing days. I wore the most garish shorts I could so my coach could easily identify me in a mass field. The only ones I could find were too big for me and I have continued to buy this size ever since.

:d Do you have to wear a belt and braces with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Sarah said:
Hiya im a fashion student from DeMontfort University Leicester, i am currently designing sportswear for runners at all levels. I'd like to know what people like to wear when they run in races and in training.


- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.
- Types of fabrics
- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?

I would really appreciate your opinions they will help me to achieve the best out of my designs.
(could you please tell me if you are male or female to help me compare opinions)
Hello Sarah, my answers are:

- Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing? I wear clothes of any colour for running. I wear a hi vis tabard and flashing arm bands to show myself up to traffic.

- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms. Definitely fitted when it comes to leggings, I have some tight/lycra shorts, but I also wear baggy shorts, especially one's with bigger pockets in for key, inhaler and gels. T-shirts tend to be baggy-ish.

- - Types of fabrics - wicking in t-shirts for summer. In the winter it doesn't really matter as much.

- How does your race wear compare to your training gear? I always wear my baggy shorts for races cos they have a small pocket in the front that I can put my car key in (if no-one is there to look after it for me), they have 3 "netted pockets at the back of them which I use for my inhaler and a couple of gels if it's a long race. I either wear a club t-shirt or vest.

I'm male.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Hi Sarah

Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing?
Not so much bright colours but garments with reflctive piping. Also wear a hi viz bib, also have an orange gilet.

- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.
Definitely fitted leggings - much to the dismay of Mrs T. Tops mainly something a little baggier to hide the gut.

- Types of fabrics
Always wicking technical fabrics

- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?
Not much except I never race in tights and it's usually the only time I wear a vest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Colour- do you choose a colour that will help you be seen by drivers or at night? Do you look for reflective clothing? Most of my stuff is black, blue or fluorescent yellow. I always wear the fluorescent at night
- Do you prefer fitted clothing? e.g. leggings or tracksuit bottoms.I prefer fitted leggings in winter, but baggy shorts in summer, I don't like fitted tops
- Types of fabrics Usually wicking, but in summer I wear ordinary tshirts
- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?No difference - I'm not in a running club. I'm in a tri club but don't have any club gear
I'm female.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
- Colour

I'm really into the bright flou yellow at the moment but it'll pass - also quite like my blacks and reds.

- Do you prefer fitted clothing?

Definitely fitted

- Types of fabrics

Definitely wicking

Also considering buying some windproof clothing at the moment...

- How does your race wear compare to your training gear?

Generally my race gear is just newer.... and I'll wear a little less when racing.



Agree with all the comments on pockets - somewhere for a key and some money is good (surprising how many club runs end at pubs...)

I also quite like the odd slogan - e.g. I used to like some of the No Fear phrases ("If you're not living on the edge...") and I quite like the Nike tops which have "run" written on them - but these slogans can look old and untrendy quite quickly...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top