Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your weekly training schedule look like?

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who incorporate strength training into their schedule and how to do this while simoultaneously increasing weekly mileage without overdoing it.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Its a tough one to balance I think... it seems I have little/no place in my schedule for strength training (in terms of weights etc) at the moment, though more through fear of overtraining than anything else as I'm trying to increase mileage and intensity atm. Hopefully once I've got used to that I'll be able to add second training sessions into the day which will include weights, cross training, or a second run.

At the moment my training schedule tends to consist of:

Monday - Speedwork; repetitions of varying distances from 400m up to (eventually) 1.5mi, at paces from 1.5k pace to 10k pace.

Tuesday - Club Run; Steady run with the running club across fields, parks and roads, so mixed terrain, ran in a group, usually around 8mi in distance at varying paces - usualy with some stops in for the group to negotiate gates etc...

Wednesday - Easy Run; USUALLY an easy recovery run, though dependant on whether there's a club race on thursday. If not then I may do some hill work or fartlek.

Thursday - Club Races; These I plan to use as tempo runs. The races are of varying distances, usually 4-5miles which I plan to run at target 10km pace. If no club race, then it's a club run as per Tuesday.

Friday - REST DAY.

Saturday - Long Run; My longer, slower run of the week - usually around 13-15mi.

Sunday - Easy Run; Recovery run in preparation for Monday's speedwork session.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
That's interesting Rich... your long run on Saturday and everything a day earlier

Mine is

Monday 4 mile easy
Tuesday hill work or tempo run
Wednesday midweek longish run between 8 and 10 miles
Thursday tempo run or fartlek
Friday rest day
Saturday easy 5
Sunday long run building up from 12 to 20+ through the schedule

weekly mileage starts at around 30 and peaks at around 55ish

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Yeah, I guess I kind of try to tie things in with the running club, and since they don't seem to do any structured speedwork or anything then I need to do that in my own time, and with club races on thurs I don't fancy speedwork on weds or fri.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Mon - Rest / cross-training
Tue - Speedwork- 6x 0.5 miles 5k pace (2 miles warm up / cool down)
Wed - recovery run - 5 miles slow
Thu - general run, 8 miles ish
Fri - general or tempo run, 8-10 miles ish
Sat - Slow / beach run, 5 miles or so
Sun - long run - 14 to 22 miles

Mileage usually works out as 40-55 / week, I'm also trying to up the pace and mileage at the moment, due to top-secret "Project Sub-3" :cool:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Monday - 7 mile Easy Run

Tuesday - 7 mile Easy Run

Wednesday - Interval Run 10miles inc [email protected]:00 with 800 jogging inbetween

Thursday - 7 mile Easy Run

Friday - 6 mile Temp Run

Saturday - Long Run 11-15 miles

Sunday - Well earned Rest Day

Mileage changes a bit but this plan I got off of RunnersWorld got my running out of a rut and I'm getting back towards peak fitness so looking for my half-marathon PB in October!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Having overdone it in the past with mixing gym work and running, I'm now training along these lines:

Mon - Rest
Tue - Speedwork/Monthly Club 5km race
Wed - Weights at the gym or Rest
Thu - Tempo Run, building to 6-8 Miles
Fri - Rest
Sat - Weights at the gym
Sun - Long Run

I'll generally drop the weights in the week before my main races. I may also drop either a gym session or run, depending on how tired I am and whether I'm training for a race or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A full week for me is
Mon- 6 miles
Tue-Weights then play squash
Wed-6 miles
Thurs-Weights then rugby training
Fri- 6 miles
Sat- Rest day
Sun- Golf in the morning weights in the afternoon.
Doesn't always go to plan though with a growing family and that:p

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Cor, you are all very organised.

Me, I run til I am knackered (about 30mins plus a 30min walk)

I take a rest day when things hurt or when life gets in the way (Usually once a week)

I have just started running outdoors when away and at weekends I run further by keeping going so I have to get home by finishing the distance

Further rest days required when dirty beer dictates.

No weights as I am trying to slim down not bulk up.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
am not a fan of training scedules for two main reasons:

1) having rigid scedules like you some of have reduces the flexibility to decide how you run on the day,

2) tendency of being overambitious in the plan and then feeling guility when you physically cannot stick to it...

what i do is when i feel strong i do a long run or a speedwork session when i feel don't feel strong i do my regular route... simple as...

i find having simple like this is much better...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Each to their own Revenged, but I find having a structured schedule keeps me on track and progressing. The schedule I follow is tried and tested to give results so that also gives me confidence.

I'm not a slave to the schedule though... if I'm too tired or threatened with injury I'll ease off, but also if I find that I can do a tempo run a bit faster than the schedule says then I will.

In the last schedule I used in training for London I did some of the longer runs... 18's and 20's about 10 to 15 minutes faster than the schedule said. So with my next schedule, due to start next week for Amsterdam marathon in October, I'm moving up a step

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
OK new runner question coming up, what does fartlek mean?
It's a Swedish word meaning "speed-play"

Basically an informal interval session where you mix fast and slow running, with no preconceived distances/times for the faster bits of the run.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
literally 'speed play'

it's when you go out for a reasonable distance run and, after warming up, pick a static point such as a lamppost or whatever, and run fast to that point, then slow to a recovery run, then repeat at varying intervals for varied distances as and how you feel.

This is the only time of 'speed work' that I enjoy.

Remember to warm down at the end of the run too

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Each to their own Revenged, but I find having a structured schedule keeps me on track and progressing. The schedule I follow is tried and tested to give results so that also gives me confidence.

I'm not a slave to the schedule though... if I'm too tired or threatened with injury I'll ease off, but also if I find that I can do a tempo run a bit faster than the schedule says then I will.

In the last schedule I used in training for London I did some of the longer runs... 18's and 20's about 10 to 15 minutes faster than the schedule said. So with my next schedule, due to start next week for Amsterdam marathon in October, I'm moving up a step
Fair enough - I think the 'tried and tested' thing is the most important part... what works for some doesn't work for all... I think it's best to come up with your own scedule and not go with what runnersworld say (as someone suggested)... I doubt a standard scedule would suit my anyway and I'm not ready to sit down yet and make a plan as I don't yet know what I can do... I tried before many times to have a proper plan and I kept changing it so much that in the end I shafted it all... Now I'm experimenting and doing own thing and putting off races for the moment... After I came back from holiday I started experimenting and breaking all the rules to see what I can do... To get a better time for my 5k I need do something special and break some of the boundaries... Also I need to take advantage of the summer holidays as when I go back to uni it will be extremely hard to motivate myself to run as much...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts