Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all what kind of food should i be eating before my run and what drink should i be drinking on the run?
thanks scott

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
from your previous thread as you go out later in the evening, maybe a bowl of pasta for your evening meal or if you are not running far a banana is usually is enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ill try a bannana before i run then what about fluid should i be taken fliuds with me when i run as i just have a glass of water before i leave my house and thats it and have a drink when i get home,is this bad?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It really depends on you as long as you keep yourself hydrated throughout the day there is no reason why you would need a drink whilst out running on a relatively short distance, there are forumites on here who always take a drink with them and there are some who will only take a drink if they going to run longer than 15 miles etc, or if it is a particularly hot day.

I am bad at hydrating myself through the day so I tend to take water with me on 4 mile plus runs, but it is entirely personal, if you are used to not drinking on your runs then stick with what you are used to.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's trial and error to be honest. Keep a log of what you did before each run and fiddle with it to find what suits best in particular conditions. That's the phase I'm in at the moment - fiddling and trying new things!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Scott

How long do your runs last? If they are less than an hour there's not much point taking a drink with you. If it's a long run, or particularly hot out, then water or energy drinks are useful

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Until you're running long distances or in incredible heat, your normal diet should provide plenty of fuel for you, (so no need to eat anything extra), and if you have a drink before you leave the house you won't need anything while you're out, you probably don't even need to drink something before you leave the house if you keep yourself hydrated throughout the day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
During a race, ~700ml of a isotonic carbohydrate drink like powerade or lucozade sport every hour (not all at once, say every ~20 mins), while sipping on water to stop your mouth drying out. Longer races, I would only include a gel containing a high level of electrolytes if it was in a hot environment.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Just thought I'd add... recently when running in the evening (before dinner), I've found I can be feeling a little hungry from lunch before I head out - so I have been making a honey + banana toasted sarnie to top up energy levels :)

2 slices wholemeal toast, dollop of honey on each slice (no butter), add 1 banana sliced lengthways (very important to slice it lengthways ;) :lol: ), assemble into sandwich and enjoy the energy :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Just thought I'd add... recently when running in the evening (before dinner), I've found I can be feeling a little hungry from lunch before I head out - so I have been making a honey + banana toasted sarnie to top up energy levels :)

2 slices wholemeal toast, dollop of honey on each slice (no butter), add 1 banana sliced lengthways (very important to slice it lengthways ;) :lol: ), assemble into sandwich and enjoy the energy :d
man that is the best, I had that too this week :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I didn't cut my banana lengthways.......didn't taste the same at all!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts