Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you obsessional about your weight? Do you count calories? grams of fat? or do you eat a little of what you fancy and the exercise keeps the weight control at bay?

I must admit I am becoming a bit obsessed by it all. I dont mix my carbs and my protein and that seems to work for me and if I dont eat chocolate then I dont crave for it and I can handle that no problem however it does become a problem when eating out.

Just interested in others dietary habits....cos I's nosey :rolleyes:

Nat

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Are you obsessional about your weight? Do you count calories? grams of fat? or do you eat a little of what you fancy and the exercise keeps the weight control at bay?

I must admit I am becoming a bit obsessed by it all. I dont mix my carbs and my protein and that seems to work for me and if I dont eat chocolate then I dont crave for it and I can handle that no problem however it does become a problem when eating out.

Just interested in others dietary habits....cos I's nosey :rolleyes:

Nat
I'm not obsessional Nat i've never counted a calorie in my life i try to eat sensibly whatever that is. I love making cakes ,and eating them even more :eek:

Since i've stopped making them i've stopped eating them and as such have lost most of the podge i had around my waistline, and lost about half a stone and dropped from a 34inch waist to a 32 .

I crave chocolate, but so long as theres none in the house, it's not too much of a problem .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I've just had fish and chips from the chippy after my 7 mile run this morning, so I try to balance things a bit:d I started running to lose weight eight or nine years ago and it shifted within a year or so, all 3 stones of it, although I was pretty strict about what I was eating during that time. Nowadays, I eat more or less what I want and I've maintained my weight and waist size through running. As much as I like to eat healthy every so often to avoid being bloated, I couldn't eat like that every day. I saw running as the solution to eating the things I enjoy. I tend to eat light in the day, perhaps some houmous and crackers, or sandwich and cereal bar and some fruit and I have a large meal in the evening and I'm not fussy what that is. But weekends I eat pretty much anything like pizzas, curries with 8 poppadoms etc:d I think I've found a happy medium. as long as I put in 20 to 30 miles a week running, I can keep things ticking over. I love a drink too, most nights I have a couple of glasses of wine. I haven't weighed-in on the scales for over two years but I think I'm somewhere between 11.5 and 12 stones.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I like to know the nutritional content of foods so can make informed decisions on what I can eat as part of a reasonably healthy diet. I do treat myself and never completely rule out foodstuffs - though I tend to know what's bad for me and that usually means I don't crave the 'really bad' stuff.

I do think about my weight a lot, and weigh myself quite often - but I don't obsess over it... if my weight goes up, I tend to think "oh balls", but I usually know why it's happened, and don't ever do anything drastic like severly cutting calories in an attempt to counteract it.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I don't count calories, but I do look at the saturated fat, salt and sugar content of most things I buy just to make sure I'm not overdoing it. TBH, counting calories is a bit silly if you are running 30+ miles per week, as you pretty much burn off as much as you could eat.

·
Registered
634 Posts
About 4 months ago (for the first time in my life) I made a conscious effort to lose a bit of weight. To keep it simple (cos I'm not very bright) I have only 2 rules - when I feel full up, stop eating and, don't eat a lot of crisps etc. between meals.

So far I've lost about 12lbs:) - although my belly fat seems to want to stay with me...:(

I won't rest until I can get undressed in front of Mrs Slowsteve without having to hold my stomach in:p

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
About 4 months ago (for the first time in my life) I made a conscious effort to lose a bit of weight. To keep it simple (cos I'm not very bright) I have only 2 rules - when I feel full up, stop eating and, don't eat a lot of crisps etc. between meals.

So far I've lost about 12lbs:) - although my belly fat seems to want to stay with me...:(

I won't rest until I can get undressed in front of Mrs Slowsteve without having to hold my stomach in:p
And the light on Steve:d

Great effort on the weight loss !!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm not obsessed about anything! I eat what the heck I like but for five days a week, at least, my staple food is STEAK. Apart from that I like all my food to be as fresh as possible and wont normally eat anything that's been in the fridge for more than three days. Fruit and vegetables are eaten on a daily basis. I never buy chocolate, cakes or sweets (except at Christmas, and that's mainly for other people's benefit) nor do I take sugar in tea.
I hardly ever drink beer nowadays so that helps to keep the weight down. I reckon Pub drinking is a social thing and my social life is perfectly adequate without it. Having said that, my partner and I usually get through a couple of bottles of wine each weekend, more if we're on holiday.
My weight is fairly constant around 10st 3lbs. Since I stopped racing my weekly mileage only averages about 20 miles a week, even less if the weather's bad! Apart from running I don't do any other exercises now, other than occasional visits to the gym in winter. Even then, I spend most of the time on the treadmill. Needless to say, I don't smoke and, unlike some on this forum, have never felt the need for stimulant drugs of any kind. The ony LSD I know about is Long Slow Distance - and I've had some wonderful trips!
Right, back to bed.......
Cheers!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to weight 4 stone more than I do now so I have to be careful about what I eat so I don't put weight back on. I have kept it off for 6 years so far. Did put quite a bit back on during my first year of uni when I started to slip into old habits, though. I managed to pull myself together and lose it again though.

I eat mostly healthy meals and have a habit of working out around about how many calories I've eaten a day. I have chocolate or some sort of other treat pretty much every day, though.

For some reason though when my boyfriend is staying with me I eat absolutely terribly. We eat out a lot and order a lot of takeaways and things. But because I mostly eat sensibly the rest of the time and do a lot of exercise, I don't beat myself up about it.

I do kind of wish I had more self control though as I have been quite a bit slimmer than I am now and wouldn't mind losing a few lbs.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
As long as what I'm eating (big bowl of pasta at the mo') gives me the energy to get through my next run (in about 10 hours time), I don't really worry.:d

However, when I'm injured, my appetite doesn't seem to diminish and I have to make a real effort to eat less. Even then, because I've been so used to running, for such a long time, it is evident that my body depends on regular exercise to keep my metabolism ticking over enough to burn off the calories. The weight just piles on! :((

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That's pretty much my goal (only involving Mrs Hrun not Mrs Slowsteve)

As to food, I try to not snack, if I don't have it in the house I can pretty much avoid it. Staying away is harder, I have taken to eating stuff I buy in my room rather than hit the restaurant.

Once I reach my target I hope to be able to blow out a bit more, although I am far from perfect now.

Biggest boost to kick start was a month with no alcohol and even now I drink far less than I was before.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I'm obsessive about weighing myself, I do it everyday sometimes twice this is not good:confused:.
I do watch what I eat as I don't let myself go over a certain weight. Since I started running though which I do mainly in the evening I don't eat a large meal I tend to have small snacks but I do watch the calories and have my treats at the weekend:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I once became very obsessed with cals...it became an obsession to beat the number of calories eaten the day before..ie eat less and less........not very sensible.

Nowadays I eat what I want.........and let the running take care of the bad, extra cals!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all

I am not obsessed but do tend to look at calories and fat content, not so much the calories though. Felling a little bad as just finished a bag of steak McCoys :worried:

Since the beginning of the year I have really began to watch what I eat. Not had a beefburger since October and hardly have chips. Tend to go for part boiled potatoes and then fry them in the wok with a whole chopped onion :d

As of this week I will be bumping up my weight training to three times a week and might increase my running from three to four.

Lost just over one stone since the beginning of the year and my stomach is flatter than it has been in many years. The better the results I see the more careful I am what I eat.

I'm happy :)

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I won't have bathroom scales in the house...I don't think they are helpful and it's very easy to become obsessed with weight. I rely on a tape measure, how my clothes feel, and how I feel with regard to my weight.

I've not had much of an appetite for months now and I struggle to eat enough. I really don't feel like tea tonight for instance, and will probably just have some toast or something just so I don't wake up in the morning feeling sick from lack of food.

I do try and make sure I get something in the way of fruit and veg every day though

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I won't have bathroom scales in the house...I don't think they are helpful and it's very easy to become obsessed with weight.

I totally agree with you there. Hubby insisted we got some scales and I had a hissy fit as I never weighed myself as I would get addicted to it. Hence I'm now weighing myself daily, obsessing about the food I eat and even refused to eat any of my dad's birthday cake tonight in fear of the scales in the morning. I can't get out of it now however although I don't like myself for doing it, the thought and desire of me having a body like Rhianna's keeps the momentum going :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I won't have bathroom scales in the house...I don't think they are helpful and it's very easy to become obsessed with weight.

I totally agree with you there. Hubby insisted we got some scales and I had a hissy fit as I never weighed myself as I would get addicted to it. Hence I'm now weighing myself daily, obsessing about the food I eat and even refused to eat any of my dad's birthday cake tonight in fear of the scales in the morning. I can't get out of it now however although I don't like myself for doing it, the thought and desire of me having a body like Rhianna's keeps the momentum going :cool:
ok, this is what you do... fix them so that every time hubby wants to weigh himself they weigh heavier ;)

Then when he gets really fed up with it suggest that you get rid of the scales :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I find the scales motivate me. Yes I do weigh myself daily and log it on a calender, but I only worry if the Sunday result is higher than the previous weeks.

It is helping me to become more portion conscious and it is noticeable the damage a bottle of wine does, again aiding my self restraint.

With 5 stone to lose it is a long slog and good to see progress in little chunks

1 - 20 of 68 Posts