Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i posted here on monday to celebrate my first run after 4 1/2 years of laziness.

Two days later i have entered the Berlin Marathon in September :eek:

I will be running for cancer research uk.
I am sure i will have plenty of questions over the next six months i just hope i have enough time to reach that distance.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
835 Posts
ste said:
Well i posted here on monday to celebrate my first run after 4 1/2 years of laziness.

Two days later i have entered the Berlin Marathon in September :eek:

I will be running for cancer research uk.
I am sure i will have plenty of questions over the next six months i just hope i have enough time to reach that distance.

Cheers
Steve

Good on you Steve! Ask away, they're a pretty knowledgeable bunch here

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well it now means you are in for some hardcore trining to get up to marathon fitness levels over next 5 months or so.

Take it steady at first and build up 10% per week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement guys :d

I have had a look on the training part of the site but does anyone know where i can find a good schedule so i have something to work from.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey nothing like just going for it, good for you and good luck, you will have to keep us posted on how your training goes.

TT

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Well done Steve! I started running in January this year and like you I am taking part in my first Marathon this year!
I found having a target was a great way to gain motivation, its even more motivating when your doing it for a charity as you don't want to let them down either. This forum is also a great way of staying motivated because everyone here encourages you to do well :)

As its already been said, take it steady and Im sure you will be fine. Don't aim to finish the marathon in a set time, just aim to finish it because finishing it in itself is a brilliant achievement!

Here is a 12 week training program from the Edinburgh marathon website :
http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/documents/training/beginners.pdf

or visit: http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/?training-programmes

Hope that helps :)

O.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Steve

I agree with Owain - take it steady and don't worry about times - in training or in the marathon itself.
I entered a marathon last year before I'd even started my first training run. I managed to get myself in shape (or to be more accurate - slightly less out of shape) in about 10 months. My biggest mistake was to start obsessing about times, which resulted in a lot of niggly injuries. It was only when I forced myself to really slow down that I managed to complete a few long runs and build up just enough stamina to get me round the marathon course successfully. It took me 4 hours 48 minutes to finish - the last 5 or 6 miles hurt like hell, but now I can't wait to do another.

Good luck

Slowsteve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts