Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out for a proposed one hour ish, steady run with some intervals thrown in last night and........... Well basically after a one mile warm up and a couple of short sprints, i felt toatally hopeless, stomach felt tight, legs heavy and just not right, so i continued for another 20 minutes or so but in a kinda warm down mode. was this the best thing to do, question is, do people just stop and go home, warm down and put it down to experience or what?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
You will have your good days and your bad, sometimes its better just to turn round and go home rather than push yourself. I have found when your body is telling you something its usually best to listen to it otherwise you may end up making it worse.
On the other hand, some may say, just grin and bare and push yourself through the pain.....I wouldnt though :)

O.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Do people just stop and go home, warm down and put it down to experience or what?
There's a school of thought that says, if you set out to do seven miles but feel really rough, as if you're not going to complete it, then do EIGHT (read Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes). My advice is to always try and complete what you set out to do. If you quit in training it's likely you'll quit in racing when the pain really kicks in. The exception is if you pick up an injury while running of course.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I agree with Running Fox. If I set out to do a certain distance, I make sure I damn well do it, even if I'm running really slow near the end. Take a couple of minutes rest if you have to, but always keep going, unless you are physically injured. You can't beat yourself up if you at least finish the distance.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
After reading the two posts above I take back what I said :) It does make more sense to go out and finish the distance you say your going to do, if your not injured then you have no excuse :)

Thinking about it, Ive never turned back no matter how bad I feel, I might slow my pace right down but I still do the distance.....

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I would add a caveat - if you are clearly ill (say are coming down with flu - real flu, not just a cold, or start puking up on the run etc) isn't it better to err on the side of caution, just maybe on occasion?

As others have said I have never actually done less than I intended on a run or stopped and turned back, but would have to think twice if I was actually feeling ill, as opposed to just experiencing discomfort.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Good point. I'll add that if you are actually throwing up (or have bowel problems), it might be best to stop and go home.

I have actually run with a cold before, but it's not a good idea. A medic friend of mine told me it is the worst thing you can do, because it puts a lot more strain on your heart. YOu can actually kill yourself if you run hard with cold or flu. Scary stuff!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I would add a caveat - if you are clearly ill (say are coming down with flu - real flu, not just a cold, or start puking up on the run etc) isn't it better to err on the side of caution, just maybe on occasion?.
Then again, most sensible people don't go out running at all if they are ill, or injured. Well, not unless they call you Ron Hill!
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
If a planned run of mine goes wrong I still try to do the distance but just change the nature of the run...it normally becomes a recovery run and then sometimes after a bit the legs get going again and bingo...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Mind over matter - though I would certainly say some days just aren't meant to be! On saturday I headed out for a 15miler, by mile 4 I was feeling a lack of energy, and by mile 7 I knew I wouldn't manage the 15miles at all my stomach felt empty and I just couldn't pick up the pace no matter how hard I tried. I headed home.

-Part of me thinks this was now due to a combination of having a bad day, plus the fact that I was underfueled; I'd not eaten much the day before since I'd not exercised, and cutting the calories back a bit to lose weight - not the best way to fuel a 15miler I guess!

On Wednesday I set out to do 8miles... just over 1mile in I was getting the first signs of the same lack of energy I had on Saturday, 2miles and I was really struggling... but I told myself I was adequately fueled and that I COULD do it... over the next mile the struggle passed and I managed to finish feeling quite good actually!

Running is a lot about training the mind - but I guess there's also a quality of life issue too. If you're not trying to push right to the front of the field, you have to decide how much discomfort is 'acceptable', if you run for fun, where's the fun in running in pain/discomfort? :lol: (I'm sure some people will comment there ;))

At the end of the day, don't beat yourself up about it - you could always have not left the house in the first place which would've been a lot worse! :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Mind over matter indeed....it's all in the head you know!
Couldn't agree more. If I'm feeling down my running really suffers, but if I'm having a good day mentally and I feel happy I run like a rocket and feel little pain. It's bizarre how the mind can affect the body so much.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Then again, most sensible people don't go out running at all if they are ill, or injured. Well, not unless they call you Ron Hill!
Cheers!

Very true - although the other evening I went from feeling fine to feeling very ill in the space of an hour - wasn't during a run thankfully, but if it had been, I would have been in trouble!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I still try to do the distance but just change the nature of the run....
Not so much change the nature of my run but drop the pace till I'm feeling more comfortable. If I set out to do 16 x 200m @ 36sec pace and find I'm struggling a bit in my warm-up I'll settle for 38 or even 40 pace - but always make sure I finish the whole 16 reps. We all have 'off' days when we've got to adjust, but the trick is not to give in.
In training I deliberately don't go outside my comfort zone, rarely run at 100% pace, but always keep that little bit in hand so it doesn't hurt too much for me to get discouraged. Racing is a totally different matter, giving 110%, blasting through the pain barrier hurting like hell. There's no 'fun' in racing!
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The other evening I went from feeling fine to feeling very ill in the space of an hour - wasn't during a run thankfully, but if it had been, I would have been in trouble!
I guess I'm very lucky in that respect Rob. I haven't had any tummy problems, or vomited, in over forty years. I remember the last time extremely well and I'm not going to repeat it, much as I love my Malt Whiskey!
Cheers!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'm very lucky in that respect Rob. I haven't had any tummy problems, or vomited, in over forty years. I remember the last time extremely well and I'm not going to repeat it, much as I love my Malt Whiskey!
Cheers!
i'll trump that one,

i entered a winter cycling time trial it was an early season 30 mile hilly in maldon essex and i thought i'd try a new drink.
PRUNE JUICE - BIG MISTAKE.

my team mates said they last saw me dissapearing into a plume of purple smoke and for at least six months i adopted the name "pruno"

it comes to something when you have to make a decision wether it will be better to stop and vomit or just vomit en route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts