Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a strange question I know, but at what point does 'undulating' or a 'gentle rise' turn into being a 'hill' ?

I know it will vary quite a bit but in general terms what gradient \ length \ ascent would people on here class as a hill as opposed to an undualtion ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I class any slight difference to gradient as a hill!
I sort of agree....

...a hill could be a short sharp steep incline or a long slow slight incline...both are nightmares!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd say a hill had a noticeable change in gradient that levels out at top... like if you were running along and suddenly thought "hang on a minute, this road isn't flat, I'm going up!" then that's probably an incline... whereas if you can see the road sudddenly changes gradient, then that'd be a hill... as for 'undulations' I just consider them to be smaller and less severe hills ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't know if this is odd, but I find narrow stetches of road on hills more difficult then wide ones. I guess it's because it makes the hill look steeper....

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I would but I don't even know where that is!

*hides in shame*

somewhere in the South East yes?
:worried:

Shame on you indeed!!:rolleyes:

Your very vaguely in the right, general, area!:d

Imagine London...go North East several miles....and you'll be in the land of Ipswich, Southwold, Lowestoft...have a google!!:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well Ipswich is the south of Suffolk...keep going all the way up A12 to good old Lowestoft before you move into Norfolk.

Trouble is Geography doesn't deal with places/towns in GB....more to do with the rest of the world...well it was when I did it many moons ago.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Lowestoft is on the coast ....it's the most easterly English (? British town)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Not a hill:
Code:
    /
  /
/
Any questions?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts