Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im 20 in the uk military and i seem to have picked up an injury from a loaded march i was doing and now causes severe pain under my knee cap every time i run and/or climb up and down stairs or hills ect. Sometimes my knee becomes so stiff i cant bend or open my leg.

I have been to a physiotherapist and he diagnosed it as a trapped nerve in my lower back. But with all the coronavirus happening i cannot get another appointment.

it doesn’t fell like a nerve problem but more like a muscle problem. What do you guys think it could be? And how should i treat it?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It will be impossible to diagnose this better than a medic could do with tests and a personal interview. So I would persist in trying to get an appointment even if it is 4 to 6 weeks away, or more. In the meantime I would look up RICE: rest, ice, compresssion and elevation, which won't be wrong and will help many of the common causes we see here. If this hasn't helped in 2 to 4 weeks then you maybe have something more than a sprain and you will need that appointment for proper diagnosis and treatment, all IMO as a runner not a medic. See e.g. Sprained Knee Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello im 20 in the uk military and i seem to have picked up an injury from a loaded march i was doing and now causes severe pain under my knee cap every time i run and/or climb up and down stairs or hills ect. Sometimes my knee becomes so stiff i cant bend or open my leg.

I have been to a physiotherapist and he diagnosed it as a trapped nerve in my lower back. But with all the coronavirus happening i cannot get another appointment.

it doesn’t fell like a nerve problem but more like a muscle problem. What do you guys think it could be? And how should i treat it?
Hi I ex-miltary, and these days a Chiropractor and soft-tissue therapist. Again, it is extremely difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing somebody and so I cannot diagnose you. Based on what you have said I would suspect the issue is more patella tracking related and there are a number of things that can cause that. I have previously written a number of running related injury articles on the sports injury section of my blog. The ones that you might of specific interest or use are relate to the ITB and Patella (Runner's Knee articles). You will probably find the article on self-myofasical release (SMR) of use too and that article is based on how I look after my own legs. Here is a link to the blog article page and hopefully that is allowed. Sports Injury Blog articles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts