Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. We all seem to post PBs for distance running, but has anyone timed themselves over 1 mile? I've never just ran 1 mile, but reckon I could just about break 5 minutes. maybe I'll try it this weekend :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I guess it's because 1m is a track distance as opposed to a road distance......never seen a 1m road race..has anyone? I doubt many would travel for an event so short.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never timed myself doing just a mile ... however when I've been doing a longer run I think my fastest mile time was about 8.5 mins (I like to pace myself :p ). It would be interesting to see how fast I could do just the mile though ... I'd be much more inclined to run faster if I new that was all I had to do! :d Maybe I should give it a go!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I reckon in a track race I could crack 5mins... though be warned it's pretty painful! I've gone flat out in a mile repeat but buggered up the timing of it, so could only make an assumption of 5mins give or take 5secs. being on the road there was also a slight incline and descent in the road (something you wouldn't notice normally, but going flat out it's a lot more obvious!)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Last time I timed myself over a mile I managed 24mins 35seconds:eek:However, that was swimming! I reckon I could run it a little bit faster, but not much:d

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I timed myself over mile three to four of an otherwise steady 7 mile run last week.

It was in to the wind but was 6mins 30.

Why is it though, that I didn't feel like I could have gone much faster, if at all,yet I can run a half marathon averaging 6:45's ?

Surely I should be able to cover a mile much quicker.:confused:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Weird that hotfoot... you see I'm completely the opposite! I can run a mile much faster than my 10k and particularly 1/2 marathon times would predict I can... I guess at the end of the day the shorter distances suit me, and you're biased to endurance rather than speed!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Weird that hotfoot... you see I'm completely the opposite! I can run a mile much faster than my 10k and particularly 1/2 marathon times would predict I can... I guess at the end of the day the shorter distances suit me, and you're biased to endurance rather than speed!

Fair point R.S.

That's why I'm classed as a jogger.

or, is it a case that those that can perhaps do a 4 or 5 minute mile, should be able to,with gradual increase in training distances,be able to maintain their current mile pace over a greater distance such as a half marathon?

They aint pushing themselves hard enough!!:p

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Steve said:
I guess it's because 1m is a track distance as opposed to a road distance......never seen a 1m road race..has anyone? I doubt many would travel for an event so short.

The road mile that I competed in used to be an annual event which was held on the same evening as a 10K race at the same venue. I think that the mile race was actually done on an invitational basis in order to keep the size of the field down to a safe level (probably around a dozen runners).
Sadly, these races have long since joined the lengthening list of those which have had to be scrapped due to increasing amounts of traffic, and the increasing costs of policing road races.

Back in the 80's I think that they once (maybe more than once?) had a mile race down 5th Avenue in New York. I also seem to remember there being a race along Princess Street in Edinburgh; and more recently, the Great North Mile races on the Newcastle/Gateshead quayside the day before the main 'North Run.
There have also been downhill mile races (the unofficial mile record was, inevitably, set in one of these); and uphill mile races. These may even still be held. I think that they were somewhere in Yorkshire or maybe Derbyshire. I believe the name of one of them was The Meltham Murder Mile. Not sure if that was the "up" one or the "down" one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts