Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi ive been at a gym for a couple of years now and nearly all my work in there is on the treadmill, i find it much less boring than using exercise bike, weights etc.

I had a serious accident (was knocked down by a car) about 3 months ago and couldn't go to the gym for around 2 months as my knees felt very weak and i couldn't run at all.

Thankfully Ive made a full recovery and I've decided to get into running a lot more. Below is my distances I've covered in last 3 weeks and number of runs i've been on. All have been in the gym apart from one run around the park with a mate. I just want to know what level am I at at the mo? Beginner?, average?

Also, am I doing too little or too much? Am I training too often or too little? Is just using a treadmill proper running? (I find it more convenient using treadmill you see, I've no desire to enter running competitions, just want to improve for my own satisfaction) I'm aged 27 if that helps too.

Cheers

Chameleon

WEEK 1:

18 kilometres in total (3 Runs)

WEEK 2:

37 kilometres in total (6 Runs * spread over 5 days)

WEEK 3:

24 kilometres in total (4 Runs)

Oh for got to say some of it I go back to walking, then start running again. Eg start with 10mins runnin, then walk for 3 mins then back running etc. When walking its 6.5K per hour, my running goes up and down between 10.5k and 14k per hour, the average is about 12k per I think.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi,

The mileage you list seems to be more than I would expect from a beginner (certainly much more than I did when starting out), don't quite understand why you needs to be labelled either a beginner / average.

The one thing to be careful about is not to increase the mileage each week by more than around 10%, I notice that from week 1 to week 2 it doubled, this seriously increases the chances of injury.

Just take it steady, enjoy it and not do too much too soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Granty said:
Hi,

The mileage you list seems to be more than I would expect from a beginner (certainly much more than I did when starting out), don't quite understand why you needs to be labelled either a beginner / average.

The one thing to be careful about is not to increase the mileage each week by more than around 10%, I notice that from week 1 to week 2 it doubled, this seriously increases the chances of injury.

Just take it steady, enjoy it and not do too much too soon.
Thank you, I think the mileage increased so dramatically as I had a week off work so much more free time in the 2nd week.

10% max increase noted.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The 10% rule applies to weekly mileage and to the longest run you do each week.

Your times and distances are fine in all the circs.

Keep progress steady and you'll soon be running non stop and entering a 10k!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts