Runners Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
hilly said:
I've decided to do FLM, South Downs in June, which sounds beautiful and Benedorm in Nov, which is a club organised trip. My main goal is FLM though and as for the others, well I'll see...
Hello hilly are you in the elite start at FLM? or in with us mere mortals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
goldbeetle said:
Hello hilly are you in the elite start at FLM? or in with us mere mortals?

Yes, I'm on the champ start as a slower runner among the fast ladies:)

Last year was such a great experience that I have to go back for more!

So FLM will be your first marathon. I found my first one the best in terms of enjoyment. No pressure as I didn't know what to expect and no worry about time as whatever I did would be a pb.

How's your training going?

·
Registered
77 Posts
hilly said:
Yes, I'm on the champ start as a slower runner among the fast ladies:)

Last year was such a great experience that I have to go back for more!

So FLM will be your first marathon. I found my first one the best in terms of enjoyment. No pressure as I didn't know what to expect and no worry about time as whatever I did would be a pb.

How's your training going?
Trainings going well Im following a Lydiard program so its a lot of miles at the moment(youd know all about that tho;) )
Im not going to get a good for age this year maybe when I hit 40in a couple of years

·
Registered
7 Posts
goldbeetle said:
Trainings going well Im following a Lydiard program so its a lot of miles at the moment(youd know all about that tho;) )
Im not going to get a good for age this year maybe when I hit 40in a couple of years
Glad the training is going well and yes miles and me are friends:d

Wish I could boast about not being 40 yet:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've not done Reading before but the reviews are pretty good for previous years and I'm very close to Reading. I really liked the idea of finishing off at the Madesjki Stadium, thought that would be a good end to the race. I've roped in some staff from my work and I think we're going to get sponsorship of some sort so it should be good.

I've been looking around for a good marathon - didn't really fancy London (bit too commercial for my liking) - I'm running for myself, no charity involved so I liked the idea of the marathon being quite scenic and the New Forest certainly fits the bill. Again, this one gets really good reviews on Runners World website.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
London is not the only 'thon!

I am running the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington DC this autumn.
Looking for sub 3hrs. Allready getting some decent mileage in to shift the old lard.
Hastings will be the first checkpoint for me. Want a good half in the autumn that is NOT the GNR. Any suggestions out there?
What does the Lydiard programme involve?

·
Registered
244 Posts
steepler said:
I am running the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington DC this autumn.
Looking for sub 3hrs. Allready getting some decent mileage in to shift the old lard.
Hastings will be the first checkpoint for me. Want a good half in the autumn that is NOT the GNR. Any suggestions out there?
What does the Lydiard programme involve?
There are quite a few steepler. Robin Hood in Nottingham (beginning of Sept), East Retford (again Nottinghamshire, same day as GNR last year), Worksop Half at the end of October, are all one's I've done and can highly recommend.

Check out a race diary to see if you can find any closer to home, as Autumn tends to be one of the peak half marathon periods.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thanks for that Hammerite.
The GNR is just a giant fun run these days amyway. Got family in Yorkshire so I may try one of the races you suggest.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Cheryl said:
I've not done Reading before but the reviews are pretty good for previous years and I'm very close to Reading. I really liked the idea of finishing off at the Madesjki Stadium, thought that would be a good end to the race. I've roped in some staff from my work and I think we're going to get sponsorship of some sort so it should be good.

I've been looking around for a good marathon - didn't really fancy London (bit too commercial for my liking) - I'm running for myself, no charity involved so I liked the idea of the marathon being quite scenic and the New Forest certainly fits the bill. Again, this one gets really good reviews on Runners World website.

I did Reading last year... it was ok, and yes, finishing in the Stadium was nice (apart from the strong headwind for about a mile previous!). I wouldn't do it again though...bit over-priced for a half...in fact not much cheaper than FLM!

I get what you mean about London...but it's a huge event, running in the same race as all those elite runners is quite a nice experience, as is having 26 miles of constant support. I'm running it this year (4th time lucky through ballot) and I've also got a GFA place for 2007. But I'll run it to enjoy the atmosphere and the actual event, coz it's not easy to achieve a PB there...unless you're up the front of course ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cheryl said:

I can highly recommend the White Peak Marathon Cheryl. It's in the peak district so probably as scenic as you can get, it's off road but on well used cycle paths so is a nice surface to run on (with only one road crossing). You may think it's hilly but actually it isn't the trails were old railway tracks so no killer hills there. Although there are some quite steep descents in the last few miles.

The race is on a Saturday May 20th.

I've entered :d

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ran the White Peak Half last year, it was a fab race in beautiful countryside and I'll definitely do it again one day . . but not this year as I'll be in Denmark . .

my marathons for the first half of this year? Duchy, London and Copenhagen . . plus several halves . . then an Ultra and hopefully more marathons in the autumn . . beginning with Wolverhampton . .

·
Registered
18 Posts
RichK said:
I ran the White Peak Half last year, it was a fab race in beautiful countryside and I'll definitely do it again one day . . but not this year as I'll be in Denmark . .
I've just decided to do White Peak this year (as my first ever :eek: ). Was thinking about Copenhagen but will do that another year. Currently planning to move to Copenhagen this autumn so hopefully next year. :huh:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Copenhagen marathon is a great race... I did it in 2004 and am looking forward to going back and doing it again in May this year :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paris and Loch Ness plus Highland Cross a 20 mile cross country run followed by a 30 mile bike bonanza which feels like a marathon!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts