Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know I am aiming to run the Rome Marathon in March '09. I only started running 4 weeks ago. The longest run I have done so far was 3.6 miles, my regular run is 2.1 miles.

I have a get-me-round schedule to follow, which starts 15 weeks before the race. Week 1 has a longest run of 50 minutes, building up to 4 hours in week 12.

At the moment I am running 10 minute miles for the 2.1 mile route.

My question is, what sort of schedule should I be following before the 15 week schedule starts? Should I be trying to improve my time (I would like to get down to 8 minute miles) or should i continue building up distance? I know distance seems the obvious answer as I am training for a marathon, but if I am running 10 miles or more by December, where do I start that training schedule?

Maybe I should find a longer schedule. Does anybody now of a 30 week novice marathon schedule?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Speed reps tend to be a good way of building up speed but remember, you have only been running for 4 weeks and pace will come with time. I would continue to go out doing what your doing and not pushing yourself too much. You don't want to injure yourself before your training really starts.

If you really want to work on reps you could do something like 5x 1min running fast, 5x 3mins getting your breathe back and at a slower pace. so 1min fast, 3 mins slow, 1 min fast, 3mins slow.........

Some people might recommend doing a longer slow section, maybe 5 mins....so listen to what they say :)

O.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment I am only just managing 3 mins running 1 min walking!:worried:

This is what the get-me-round schedule suggests, gradually building up to 5 mins running 1 min walking, which is what you do on race day too.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
personally I'd suggest getting stuck into the marathon training schedule once you feel ready, if you feel like you're particularly struggling then repeat a week once or twice... if you get towards the end of the training schedule it'll be easy to either find another training schedule that's a little more challenging to pick up in the remaining time before race day... alternatively it's very easy just to jump back and repeat a few weeks of your schedule to be sure it'll last you right up until the marathon :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
M.F.

If I were you I'd put the 8min/mile pace to the back of my mind.

As you follow your schedule, your pace will improve as a result. Don't put the extra pressure of achieving a certain pace on yourself.

If you're following a get you round schedule - that's what it is.

You have plenty of time in front of you to gradually build up a good weekly base mileage or "time on your feet" before your schedule kicks in.

A rule of thumb that some may suggest is that you don't increase your overall weekly mileage by more than 10% of the previous week.

It's a good idea to gain as much structure to your program as soon as you can, which you seem to be doing.

Reassess where you are nearer the time that your schedule is due to start perhaps? You will have more of an idea of what you think you will be capable of then.

A good book by Bob Glover and Shelley-Lynn Florence Glover, will give you all the tips and advice that you will need.

It's called " the competitive runners hand book".

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks guys.

RS, I am nervous of starting the schedule too early, mainly because I don't want to be doing 3-4 hour runs too early!

Maybe i'll turn it into a 30 week schedule by doing each week twice in teh early stages and then adding a mid length week in between the later stages

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
M.F.

Seriously, don't panic yourself, a good schedule will require hill repeats at some stage but it will be a gradual build up as you'd expect.

I can't recommend the bob Glover book highly enough, worth every penny.

Don't scare yourself with the big picture!:)

You will build up to this gradually if you follow a well planned schedule.

While you still have time, look for sound advice, from sound sources, and gain structure that way.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi M.F.

You've got about 33 weeks to go.

You could do an 8 week 5k program followed by an 8 week 10k program, followed by your 15 week marathon program (with a couple of weeks to spare for the inevitable niggles). And if you can actually do a 5k race a 10k and a half marathon - even better.

BUT: These aren't the recommendations of an expert - I just thought it might work.

And just to disagree slightly with what Hot Foot said - I wouldn't put thoughts of 8 minute miles to the back of your mind - I'd put them out of your mind completely. To go from where you are now to running 26 miles in only 33 weeks will be a huge achievement in itself - your time is totally irrelevant. Speaking from painful experience - at around the 22 mile mark, you won't give a flying f*** what your finish time is going to be - just as long as you get there:):idea:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
In addition to HotFoot's suggestion, I can also recommend Hal Higdon's book "Marathon- The Ultimate Training and Racing Guide". Lots of good advice in there.

To help you build up speed at the moment, I'd recommend doing shorter intervals of maybe 200m-400m on a track.

I'd also forget about 8min/miles at the moment - that would get you round the marathon course in under 3:30!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8 minute miles were more for the 5k runs - not for the marathon!

Aiming for 4.5 - 5 hours for the marathon - 10 minute miles would be great for the race itself, but as I am only ust managing that for 2 miles I have a long way to go!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi M.F.

You've got about 33 weeks to go.

You could do an 8 week 5k program followed by an 8 week 10k program, followed by your 15 week marathon program (with a couple of weeks to spare for the inevitable niggles). And if you can actually do a 5k race a 10k and a half marathon - even better.
SS - This is a good idea, one that I thought I would follow when I started, but for some reason forgot all about:huh:

I am going to sign up for the Wymondham 10km (October I think) and I'd like to do another couple of those over the winter. I suppose that I should be aiming for a 1/2m in January/February as well.:push:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nice going MF.

You do know it is RF rules to keep us up to date with your progress ;)

TT :d

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
np TT, will do my best.

Realised that the Wymondham race is actually 5k on 14/9, which is perfect because it gives me 6 weeks to do a 6 week 5k novice schedule! :)

Not so easy to find 10k and 1/2m races over the winter though, they all seem to be in the south west :(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
np TT, will do my best.

Realised that the Wymondham race is actually 5k on 14/9, which is perfect because it gives me 6 weeks to do a 6 week 5k novice schedule! :)

Not so easy to find 10k and 1/2m races over the winter though, they all seem to be in the south west :(
There are a number of such races in this neck of the woods...Norwich 1/2m, Turkey Trot 10m in Beccles, Felixstowe 1/2m.

Google Suffolk County Athletics...there should be a list of road races there

1 - 20 of 22 Posts