Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a piece of exercise equipment to use in the house and was wondering what would be best to get.

I do running in the evening so feel a running machine would be a waste and im really looking for something that I can use on the days im not going to be running.

I thought this would be easy but ive seen loads of different ones, exercise bikes, rowing machines, elliptical trainers, walking machines and steppers (like climbing a ladder) so what would be the best to buy?

The idea is to loose weight, train a different part of the body than what im doing while im running.

If anyone has any ideas then id appreciate it.

thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If it were me I'd either say rowing machine or a set of weights...

Rowing is a fantastic cardio workout and probably use more muscles than any other bit of equipment, weights on the other hand can be used to compliment your running making you stronger and faster.

When you say you're trying to lose weight, do you strictly mean lose weight? or lose body fat? Are you mainly concerned with the numbers or the appearance? The rowing machine would help you lose more weight, but the nature of cardio exercise means part of the weight lost is muscle mass, though perhaps less so with rowing than other cardio workouts? Weights will mean a slower rate of burning calories and also losing weight (as you'll build muscle), but you'll end up with a stronger body with less body fat, additionally stronger muscles will burn more calories in their everyday usage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd agree that a rowing machine would the best choice as the other choices are all leg orientated only. Rowing burns a good wedge of calories and targets your back and arm muscles (totally the opposite to running). So it won't tire out your running related muscles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies so far.

Ok the aim is that running will be my number 1 activity, I dont want anything to interfere or hinder that.

I am over weight, running has helped a little but not a great deal (along with diet of course) but I want to get rid of the flabby stomache and also strengthen my muscles that are not worked by running.

The ellipticals look good but they seem to be just like walking so not what I need and as Richard has said the best bet is probably the rower.

I dont want to consider weights as I used to do them before and dont really want to build muscle that way.

I guess I just want to tone up but loose weight and help my cardio in the process.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would say a rowing machine purely on the fact that you could give the legs a rest whilst still exercising.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I find that rowing long distances on a machine makes the back of my legs and bum hurt, but my back and shoulders hurt even more and so distract me from the relatively low amount of pain there. Am I doing something wrong?:eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok just for a quick update.

I told my parents about my idea and they said they had a friend who was giving away a decent cycle machine so Im having that, plus ive also brought a Reebok Series 3 Rowing Machine and that should be arriving today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm considering buying a pair of kettlebells, I believe they're excellent for strength and cardio workouts. Plus you can use them in confined spaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts