Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ive only been running about 6 weeks so Im obviously new to it. Im upto 60 minutes twice per week with one set of 30 minute interval training. Anyway can you advise about the best thing to have before a run?

I don't eat a proper meal about 3 hours before a run although if I've been out all day with work, etc, then I might have some toast an hour before.

But Im also keen to clarify-someone suggested eating two bananas shortly before a run. Does this sound like a good idea? Another thing someone suggested was drinking half a pint of water 30 minutes before the run.

Does this sound good? Anyway other tips?

I tend to have a recovery drink after at the moment using ultragen. Although I don't think I necesarily need to have this so may not buy anymore once Im through with this supply.

Many thanks

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi jayman :)
Check previous threads under "Nutrition".

Some like "Your Race Breakfast" and "The night before a race - your meal of choice?" can giv you a good insight.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Jayman

It seems to vary for different people, some always need to have eaten soemthing, others can just run on empty.

The general concensus is that eating something directly before your run can cause stitches etc. To be honest you're probably best off doing what feels right :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
It also depends upon intensity. The lower the intensity, the easier it is to run on empty, as you put it. The higher the intensity of the workout you have planned, the more important it is to have something in the hour before you run - and this is where experience comes into its own, as others have stated, you need to find out - how near to your workout you can eat, and what sort of food/gel/drink you can best tolerate

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If I eat too soon before a run I feel nauseous. Last week I ate my tea 2 hrs before going to club and a couple of miles in I was feeling a little green so best to keep it light, something with carbs, maybe slow release if you are running for a while. After your run you need some protein to help muscle repair but not everyone can manage solids immediately so a milkshake is an ideal source of protein.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts