Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can`t afford to go and see a physio at the moment,so I`m looking to draw on the experience and knowledge of you fine people.............

I`ve had this problem now for about 5 weeks.

I had a month or so before the problem started when my weekly milage was higher than it had been at any time during my 2 years or so of running.(Around 120 miles in the month.)

From what I can understand from my own research the problem seems to be with the peroneal Tendon,brevis and longus. which run around the ankle bone and up towards the calf.
The tightness I feel seems to run from behind the ankle bone and into macalf.

peroneus.png Problem area marked in red.

The injury isn`t slowing me me down when I run.
In the last month I have set PB`s at 5 Miles and 5k.
and have run a half marathon.(not very well,but the injury wasn`t to blame for that.)

It is a bit tight for the 1st mile or so then eases off,and dosn`t give me any more problems for the rest of the run,or for the few hours after.

The next day it is not really painful,but It is uncomfortable enough that don`t feel that I want to run on it.

The situation now is that I am only running 2/3 times a week and the 2 5k races I have run in the last week have shown that I am now starting to lose my speed.(there wasn`t much to start with.)

I am icing the area after my runs,but don`t really know wether it is making any difference.

So if anybody can give me any advice I would be greatful.

If you need to know any more,just ask.

Cheers.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm certainly not a qualified physio or owt... but i'm always willing to give my opinion and share what my common sense tells me.

tendons and muscles etc will become more flexible as you warm up, hence why the pain subsides after running for a while - though in periods of rest it'll become less flexible and therefore the discomfort becomes more noticeable.

Looking at teh location of the pain, in seems to be in an area that's subject to a LOT of abuse and shock (after all, your heel will usually be the first part of your body to strike the ground with each stride)... Whilst you may have decreased the amount of training you do, it may be that you're still damaging it each time you run, and simply not giving it a chance to heal properly. I'd suggest that rather than continue with reduced mileage for another few weeks/months or whatever, that you take say up to a week of total rest and icing, wait for the pain to subside completely then ease back into your training. :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I always thought an ale or 4 sorted you out Dave...........

........in seriousness sorry about the problem. Can't really advise.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve said:
I always thought an ale or 4 sorted you out Dave.....
It always helps Steve.......:d

Richard.

I`m sure your right about resting it properly.

I`ve got a 10k to run on Sunday week.

After that I will see if I can find the willpower not to run for a while.

Unless somebody can advise me that it is ok to carry on running........Please.......:d

Anybodys thoughts on this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Why don't you cycle for a week and absolutely no running whatsoever and see how it feels after that, loaing no fitness this way, should help stop you going mad.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It sounds like it could be a ligament strain to me... not much you can do except wait for it to heal.

Meanwhile you are doing right in icing it. Rest it when you can, and if you have to run on it then I would strongly suggest that you get an ankle support to run in.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Granty said:
should help stop you going mad.
Too late I think Granty............... smiley-faces6.gif

Seriously.

I have started to use my exercise bike a bit more lately.

The only trouble is that it gives me a sore Ar**............:eek:............... bike 2.gif

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not having ever seen your behind, I'd suggest a gel seat for maximum padding and comfort :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trinity said:
It sounds like it could be a ligament strain to me... not much you can do except wait for it to heal.

Meanwhile you are doing right in icing it. Rest it when you can, and if you have to run on it then I would strongly suggest that you get an ankle support to run in.
Thanks Trin.

I will take your advice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry to hear your suffering and how frustrating it must be.

Trinity has given you some good advice however maybe it would be worth going to see your GP just to confirm your diagnosis in case it could be something else?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Smiler.

Problem is my GP would almost certainly tell me to rest.

Then he would get the hump if I ignored him..........................:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Take it easy Dave hope it all sorts it self out soon :confused:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TT.

Posted my entry for the 29th on Monday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The peroneus brevis and longus do arise from the calf, pass around the back of the heel bone and attach to the base of the 5th metatarsal (bony bit half way down the outside of the foot)
Sometimes achillies tightness can cause pain round the back of the heel too.

Have you been down the usual route of questioning whether it is time for a shoe change?
Also I'd try stretching your calf generally - I like the stretch on the bottom step of the stairs. Stand on the stairs with your heels hanging over the edge. Drop your heels down to feel the stretch point, hold for up to 1 minute.
To stretch the peronei you need your knee straight and your foot turned in. It is quite hard to get an effective stretch, but you could try sitting with your leg straight and using a towel to apply the stretch, or standing with your foot turned under you, then gradually put a little push through it.
It would be worth strengthening the peronei too - I find balance work is good for this. Simply standing on that foot with your eyes shut os a start. Balancing on that leg on a trampette will work it harder.

Hope this helps
Jane - Chartered Physio

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for that Jane.

I took delivery of new shoes today.

I will go through the stretches you have suggested.

Thanks again.

Dave.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Thanks TT.

Posted my entry for the 29th on Monday.

Gawd knows why I am doing it myself not done enough training, just gonna get round it :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
twinkle toes said:
Gawd knows why I am doing it myself not done enough training, just gonna get round it :embarrassed:
You love the hills TT............:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
YEAH BRING EM ON

on second thoughts please don't :huh:

oooooooh get me 3000 posts ooooh la la

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I'll catch you one day twinks... probs once I've been fired for spending too much time on here :embarrassed:

This is probably the only place I have a chance of being in front and certainly not on the road ha ha:d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts