Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi :)

There are loads of different opinions; I heard that it's beneficial to get some protein soon after your run, to help build up / repair your muscles.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
If it was an especially long run or a half-marathon/marathon, I try to eat as little as possible so what I eat will have to have lots of carbohydrates.
Cereal bars, bananas...

After most training runs I don't really worry too much about what I eat but I find that it is one of the moments of the day when fruit goes down really well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hide the kittens

For a runner,the starch thing is fo tomorrows benifit. It is stored aas glycogen in the liver and used as fuel for when muscles start to depleat their energy. The protein is to repair todays damage to muscles, and to make that work you also need calcium and rest. the other foods like fruit and veg are all fine for your bodys maintenance. thats it in a nutshell but jane clarke's body foods is the best book on the subject that i know of.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You are supposed to eat slow release carbs a couple of hours before a long run and some protein within half an hour of finishing to help repair muscle tissue. Often I don't feel like eating immediately after a particularly long and gruelling run but I can usually manage a choclate shake.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
any chocolate is good :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Thought you would...nice to be able to be here...
Running going well?

Things are going ok thanks Steve.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Nobody else decide to jump on the wagon as a New Years Resolution then?

Just me? :(

You could find yourself very lonely Richard.................................:d

·
Registered
159 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
You are supposed to eat slow release carbs a couple of hours before a long run and some protein within half an hour of finishing to help repair muscle tissue.
This is where kebabs are your running friends. Eat the pitta bread before the run and the meat after the run. With a pint, natch.:d

·
Registered
159 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Nobody else decide to jump on the wagon as a New Years Resolution then?

Just me? :(
One thing at a time Richard. My new year's resolution was to get back on the running and get the stone I put on in December off again. You'll be going to church next.:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts