Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to running, and am struggling with what to eat before a run. When I run first thing in the morning, I am able to run without suffering from cramp/stomach stitches (I usually just have a small banana beforehand).

However I have signed up to some races (only 5k, however am aiming for a 10k by the end of September) and as the races are during the day/evening, I am really unsure of what to be eating beforehand.

Every time I run later on in the day, I seem to suffer badly with stitches and my breathing.

Can anyone recommend what I should be eating/drinking before a day/evening run (5-10k) please?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's not what you eat, it's the amount of time you leave after eating. Most people say leave an hour or two after eating before running.

I've never had that problem, though. I'll eat immediately before, during and after running and it doesn't bother me. You just have to slow down a bit to let digestion work.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I cannot eat 90 hours before a recovery or easy run and two hours before a race as I get horrible stitches. I also can't drink within an hour of a run.

I see some people eating a banana on the start line but I just can't. It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid.

Avoid anything heavy or full of sugar and then see how you feel 2 hours before, 90 minutes before, 60 minutes before etc. until you found the point the stitch appears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For a 5/10K a bowl of cereal and banana or two would be enough. It's up to you what to eat, you just need around 350-450 calories.

Whatever you eate try itat least two weeks before a race. Sudden diarhea is not the best experience you can get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts