Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first thread and it is also my biggest problem during races (especially thoes in the morning) I get stich badly and it normally forces me to stop. I normally eat at least 2hrs before running and have tried loads of stuff which hasnt really worked, I even tried eating nothing!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Don't know the best thing to suggest - especially if you've tried eating nothing.

I am not really a big breakfast person,so normally just have a bit of toast or some cereal.

How long have you been running? Stitch is normally something associated with new runners as the internal organs get used to bouncing about?

Sorry I can't help more!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I thought that a stitch was caused by air in the gut, may be wrong though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I normally eat shredded wheat or simillar and my typical race at the moment is 10K or longer, its an odd one I used to run years ago until the doc told me to stop because of my knees! After 5 years of itchy feet I've got back into running and my knees are fine the physio told me never to listern to what a doc says about these things, the only issue right now is stich. I'm running the Hove 10k today and had brek at 6:30 so we'll see. Thanks to all

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
personally unless im going over the 10k mark i dont eat.. are you drinking plenty of water in the lead up to your runs?

bananas are pretty good sources of energy and pretty easy.. have u tried just having one of those?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd try leaving a bigger gap between food and racing, some people feel the need for up to 4 hours to avoid any problems!

Yesterday I had a toasted bagel with peanut butter about 4 hours before I ran, and was surprised at how much energy I had! I was actually a little worried I hadn't eaten enough - seems a little silly for a 5.8k race! :embarrassed: Normally I'll have porridge & dried fruit & banana but yesterday I just didn't fancy it for some reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I normally just have a couple of weetabix and a banana before a race (a couple of hours before) and find this doesn't lay too heavy to cause a stitch or bloating

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Find it interesting that people will eat bananas as they are the one thing guaranteed to give me a stitch if I eat one before running!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I think it is trial and error, as every person is different.

Personally, I cannot stand exercising if I have eaten < 2 hours before and, providing I've eaten properly during the day (assuming it's afternoon/evening workout) I rarely feel the need. I did a half marathon recently without eating before hand; water and a few sips of lucozade on the way round and I did it in 1 hr 32, so it can be done. The thought of getting up at 6.30 just to eat, when I probably won't feel like it, isn't good!

Anyway, I am not a nutritional expert so just go with what suits your body and don't feel that you have to eat pre workout/run.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stitch is caused by blood being pumped from the diaphram as you excerises leaving it week and is also caused Poor digestion causes muscles above the stomach to tug on. If you havent warmed up properly or eaten to clos to excersise you will get stitch. You should leave 1 hour after eating before excersise so majority of nutrients are broken down into digestable portions. I would also usggest chewing your food properly. This sounds stupid but so many people do not do it and leads to indigestion etc.

# During exercise, our blood moves away from the diaphragm to the limbs.

The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the stomach and abdomen from the heart and lungs.

It's one of the main muscles involved in breathing.

Most scientists believe the pain is caused by a reduction in blood supply to the diaphragm, causing it to cramp.

# The stitch is caused by fluids which the body finds hard to digest.

This causes the gut to "tug" on the ligaments connecting it to the diaphragm.

To cure stitch stop running, touch your toes and breath long deep breaths.

Try foods i.e. porridge before your workout these may be slightly easier to digest due to fibre content.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just another thought have you tried liquid carb drinks i.e. PHD Battery the maltodextrin content enables sustained enrgy release rather than lucozade sugary content which is burnt almost instantly

·
Registered
1 Posts
lucozade sport gives me a stich i have tested and it has gave me a stich each time before a race in the space of 1 hour i sugest anyone who is drinking this to stick to water

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd try leaving a bigger gap between food and racing, some people feel the need for up to 4 hours to avoid any problems!

Yesterday I had a toasted bagel with peanut butter about 4 hours before I ran, and was surprised at how much energy I had! I was actually a little worried I hadn't eaten enough - seems a little silly for a 5.8k race! :embarrassed: Normally I'll have porridge & dried fruit & banana but yesterday I just didn't fancy it for some reason.
I never eat anything....do have a coffee or two though.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I eat butties on the drive up, then have a bit of an energy drink once I'm there.

Seems to work for me. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts