Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to my friend today (the one who has had bowel cancer and written a book about it, www.anovembertoremember.co.uk,)and telling her I was thinking of doing a triathlon. She loves swimming and running, but hates cycling. What sports are included in a duathlon?

Had my second swimming lesson last night, and am pleased that it went somewhat better then the first. Managed to progress to doing properish sort of strokes, and doing what the others in the beginners lane were doing, so I felt I was getting somewhere. But then they started talkng about run bike run sessions and I thought, ooer that sounds a bit beyond me... plus I can't fit them in as they're on Wednesday evenings and that's Brownies night. And with four daughters, it will be forever amen...

Hmm, maybe this tri thing will happen when I retire or my children grow up!

Anyone out there at all interested might like to know I sent my book off to press yesterday. The beauty about digital print which is how I am producing this book is I get a copy in a week or so. If that's ok then I press the print button, and hey presto, you can order copies next week or the week after!

Will keep you posted.

Marathon Mumx

·
Registered
419 Posts
A duathlon is running and cycling... But there is a sport called "biathle" which is running and swimming - it's also sometimes called "aquathlon".

I think it's not called biathlon as that's skiing and shooting :)

If your friend is anywhere near SW London (I see you are) then Thames Turbo have a series of 4 aquathlon races this summer. I'm signed up for the 2 midweek ones in July - and if they are anything like their triathlon races then these will be very friendly pool-based events with superb bacon sandwiches on offer afterwards. Their triathlons also cater for quite novice swimmers... the slowest swim 400m in around 20 minutes (which is quite slow).

There are also a few other aquathlon events around... For a complete list try http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/index.php

Useless trivia - the World Champion biathle, Richard Stannard, runs BPTT fairly often - so I frequently get to race a world champion - however, he's a bit faster than me so I don't actually see him...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hollywood,

That is really really helpful. I'll pass it on. Taryn is a very good swimmer, and was a plodder runner (she says I suspect she was faster then me, but that's not hard!) before her illness. Her main problem is going to be keeping hydrated, and getting her fitness back. We're doing the race for life together (and with our oldest daughters 10/11) in July, so she may want to build up slowly. But I'll pass it on. Thanks.

I read your inspiring account of doing a tri - makes me think I almost could do it <vbg>, but I really want my swimming to get better. And my cycling, oh... and my running! Husband thinks I have gone completely mental, but after years of not being able to get any exercise but walking thanks to looking after small children, am finding this very liberating.

And I am really proud to think that I was in a marathon that Paula Radcliffe won - the fact that she finished before I'd made it halfway round the course is neither here nor there... And I took part in a race where there was a five times Olympic champion. I didn't see him either!!! (I would have this year, as he came in a minute slower then I did - damn!!)

Have you entered my comp yet - to name the funniest thing you've seen out running/or the thing you see doing the marathon that you don't see on TV?

Greg won my top tunes comp!

And yes I'm in Epsom - anyone interested/in the area, I am holding a launch party for my book on 8 June at Ottakers in Epsom at 6pm. All welcome!

love
marathonmumx

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not yet entered your competition about funny things seen while running - although I could easily win - since one of the things I've seen was GregW :)

On the tri thing, I'd definitely recommend just going for it - if you can run a marathon then you can definitely do a Thames Turbo tri or aquathlon - and the slower your time first time out then the easier it is to PB next time!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hollywood for the encouragement. Still feel a total fraud about sport really! have blogged about my first time at triathlon club the other week where I thought I might just drown. Can happily swim 40-50 25m lengths breaststroke but can only manage about two crawl!

Thames Turbos sounds great - I am horribly busy though... that's what comes of having four children ten and under. Should have got into all this stuff when not so committed. But was probably smoking and drinking too much then!

Have passed on your info to Taryn, who says she'll look into it, so thanks.

My funniest thing out running was meeting several fat Spanish Senoras having an early morning dip fully clothed when on holiday in Nerja in Spain. I probably amused them no end to, as I had to got the end of a cliff walk and there was no way back to the beach except to leap into the water and run past them. Luckily I am not water shy....

Btw with the biking bit of tri do you need superduper bike? Mine is 8 years old (But in good nick as I have hardly used it thanks to having too many babes too close together), and has 8 gears, but I guess that is probably not good enough?

love mmx

·
Registered
419 Posts
marathonmum said:
Btw with the biking bit of tri do you need superduper bike? Mine is 8 years old (But in good nick as I have hardly used it thanks to having too many babes too close together), and has 8 gears, but I guess that is probably not good enough?
It would be good enough for either of the tris I've done so far - London Tri and Thames Turbo - both of those have had "old shopper bikes" and very heavy full suspension mountain bikes there as well as speedier race bikes. If you can find a faster bike then it will help you go faster, but if not then you won't be alone...

One word of warning though - if you do get addicted then tri is definitely not a cheap sport - wouldn't want to see your four starving just so you can get lots of new kit :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, you'll all just have to buy my book, won't you????

Seriously thanks for that. Was listening to the conversations about runbikeruns that the tri club I've just joined do, thinking yikes!

I can run reasonable distances, though have to confess since my marathon haven't actually run further then five miles, due mainly to loss of focus. Biking haven't really done properly in ages, but am sure I could manage at least five miles before keeling over. And like I said I can do 40-50 lengths in the pool, if only with breaststroke. So stamina levels reasonable I think, but obviously a long way to go to complete a tri. Must confess I would only have a go at the really really short wussy ones. Can't see myself as an iron woman somehow!

Have just started playing tennis again as well, but have a feeling it isn't really compatible...

marathon mumx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts