Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a half marathon (Glasgow Fresh n'lo) in September and although I've looked at a few training plans I'm not following one strictly. I did my first 10K in May in 58:30. Just to keep me interested I'm doing another at the beginning of August, it's a flatter course and I'm much fitter so I'm hoping to get my time below 55 mins this time.

I'd like to start doing tempo running but want to check I've got the right idea. A normal run for me is now 5-6 miles (takes just under an hour), my long Sunday run is 8 miles, hopefully 9 next week. I also do a couple of 2.2 miles in between days so I'm running six days a week. How long should I make my tempo run and what pace do I run at? I thought I should be running at my hoped for 10K pace which would be 5.5 mins/Km - however my ultimate goal is the half marathon and there's no way I'll be running it at this pace. Please help, not sure I really understand tempo running at all:((

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The easiest way I find to describe tempo running is when you are at a pace and you can only speak a few words at a time before having to catch your breath again. You should be able to maintain the pace also.

If you are going on a 5 mile run and want to inlcude tempo warm up for a mile and then pick up the pace for 3 miles and then warm down for the last mile, taking it easy.

Perhaps try it over a shorter run at first, above is just an example.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You sound about where I am - I did 58:12 in May and have just broken 55 minutes :d So am sure you will do it.

Not sure if I do it correctly, but I run 5k tempo runs, aiming to to push myself up to about 26 minutes for that distance, which helped me get under 55 for 10k for the first time, am working on getting that 26 closer to 25 to ultimately break 50 (I live in hope!) - but suppose it's different if your ultimate goal is marathon!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good question... I'm not entirely sure what the definition of a tempo run is! Isn't it something like a fast/strong but sustainable pace?

For 10k training I'd say start with 1mile warm up, then 3miles at, or just ahead of goal 10k race pace, 1 mile cool down... then next time try and build the middle distance (the bit at 10k pace) up a bit to get your body used to running at goal pace, for as long as possible :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
At a heart rate ~80-85% of max averaged over the whole run. For me this tied in with 8 min 30 sec mile pace over 10 miles

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The easiest way I find to describe tempo running is when you are at a pace and you can only speak a few words at a time before having to catch your breath again. You should be able to maintain the pace also.

If you are going on a 5 mile run and want to inlcude tempo warm up for a mile and then pick up the pace for 3 miles and then warm down for the last mile, taking it easy.

Perhaps try it over a shorter run at first, above is just an example.

Hope that helps.
well explained Twinks ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone :)

One of my regular runs includes a race for life 5K circuit, it's about a mile from my house so I'll jog there as my warm up, run the 5K aiming for 5.5mins/Km and then jog home. I'm not quite clever enough to be monitoring my heart rate yet but I can certainly use the not being able to talk test and adjust my pace accordingly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
p.s. well done on breaking 55 mins rob. I hope I do too - then I can start working on that 50 mins barrier!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Thank you everyone :)

One of my regular runs includes a race for life 5K circuit, it's about a mile from my house so I'll jog there as my warm up, run the 5K aiming for 5.5mins/Km and then jog home. I'm not quite clever enough to be monitoring my heart rate yet but I can certainly use the not being able to talk test and adjust my pace accordingly.

Thanks again.
let us know how you get on :d

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Train wreck!!!:p I'm guessing you're not supposed to walk on a tempo run:lol:. I hadn't really taken into account the first 2K were all up hill. Ran the first 1000m at my planned pace then nearly died and had to walk for a bit and then had to run the last 3K really hard to try and get back on my time. I had been aiming for 27.5 mins, did it in 29 but did not run at a steady tempo. I think I need to try a flat route for next attempt.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Train wreck!!!:p I'm guessing you're not supposed to walk on a tempo run:lol:. I hadn't really taken into account the first 2K were all up hill. Ran the first 1000m at my planned pace then nearly died and had to walk for a bit and then had to run the last 3K really hard to try and get back on my time. I had been aiming for 27.5 mins, did it in 29 but did not run at a steady tempo. I think I need to try a flat route for next attempt.
A good learning experience - getting your pace right is an art form - but every mistake you make means you are learning :cool:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
All is not lost though you did some hill training by the sound of it, that is excellent it will all help.

Keep at it :d

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Runningshoe,

If your aiming for 10k at 55 mins then aimimg for a 5k run in 27.5 mins is your 10k pace. This is a little bit too fast for a Tempo run, 28.5 to 29 would be about right for 5k, so you did it right!

Just do the hilly part a bit slower and any down parts a bit faster and you are on the button!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok, I've been doing what I consider to be a tempo run for a while now. Warm up for about half a mile then going quicker than I usually do for the next three miles followed by a very slow final mile.

The thing is, I still do the warm up but I can now do the whole 4 miles at a fast pace. Is this still a tempo run? Or is it just a fast run?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi everyone, I did my first 10K in May in 58:30. I'd like to start doing tempo running but want to check I've got the right idea. ((
From my experience tempo runs should be based on your latest 10K race time, in your case 58.30 which equates to 9.25/mile pace. Get yourself onto a track, if you can, and after a mile warm-up jog run for thirty minutes at around 15 seconds per mile slower than your 10K race pace: i.e. around 9.40 pace. Then do a mile warm-down.
Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts