Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started running a few months ago and have so far got along wearing a pretty bog standard t-shirt and pair of shorts. I only just got some proper running shoes last week (sooo much better).

I run first thing in the mornings, and I've noticed it's started to get a bit chilly the last few times I've been out. I'm wanting to get something really light and water/wind proof to wear through the winter. Any suggestions on what to look for and where?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ive just bought myself a hi-viz longsleeve tshirt, wore it for the first time tonight and it was great. Its lightweight enough that I can roll up the sleeves just now while its not too cold but when it gets cold I will get myself a running waistcoat to put over the top to keep the windchill off me.

O.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Been wondering this myself. Started running about this time last year and got some jogging pants and hooded atheletic tops back then. Now I've got used to running in shorts and light running tops - so would be interested to know what the more seasoned runners wear in winter! Would quite like to stick to my shorts but wonder if this would end up with me freezing, or whether shorts are just fine so long as you get back into a heated environment quite soon after stopping?! :huh:

·
Registered
298 Posts
For winter mornings I usually wear a buff (you can adjust this dependant on what you want covered), sealskinz gloves, a hi-vis Altura jacket, standard adidas tacksuit bottoms.... and of course shoes! The buff will normally come off during the run at some point dependant on temperature and distance...

For winter days, I wear the buff, sealskinz gloves, shorts, and a light weight nike fleece jacket... and of course, my shoes!....

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
four bits of clothing see me through the winter...

Shorts
Gloves
Long sleeve top (I use a helly hansen)
Windproof top.

If it's cold, i'll just use the long sleeve top and the gloves... if it gets really cold, or is raining, I'll add the windproof top (which is kind of showerproof too)

I find the windproof top keeps me incredibly warm once I've started moving - unbelievably more so than you'd expect. Basically it allows the heat your body generates to stay next to your body, rather than get cooled by the winter air. Seems much more comfortable for running in than a big bulky padded jacket - which would probably give you more warmth when you're not moving, but I'd argue there's little difference whilstt you're actually running and up to temperature.

Some people use wooly hats too, but I just tend to overheat if I wear one!

·
Registered
28 Posts
the standard line is you should dress for running as if it were 10 degrees warmer than what it actually is, so when you set off you should feel cool and then obviously you will warm up very quickly!, so for instance if the outside temp is 8 deg you should dress for a run as if it were 18 deg, so shorts and t shirt should be fine at this temp

You should only really need warmer stuff when it gets below 5 deg, even then lot of male runners wear shorts throughout winter, I personally (as a female) wear long tights or capri's, a lot of men wear the long tights but if you feel self conscious you can wear shorts over the top

Top wise, it's better to layer up, so you can remove a layer if it gets too warm, a t shirt should be fine for most days but when its very cold, I tend to wear a long sleeve top and either a gilet or jacket, even then I end up removing that!

I do wear gloves and a hat when its icy as your fingers and ears end up stinging from the cold othewise!, I have a Nike hat which is not woolly but made of thin material that covers my ears and I don't tend to overheat and some thin hilly gloves.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually just wear a lightwieght showerproof jacket and a hi vis cest in the winter. If its cold, I'll wear a pair of Goretex gloves and a wolly Nike hat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it's normally the long weekend runs where I use winter gear. I don't tend to bother for shorter runs unless it's absolutely freezing. I'll wear a long sleeve running top, I have a winter running jacket that has an extra lining inside with breathable bits on it, I have long bottoms to keep my legs warm, a light running hat and gloves. I can't be doing with the cold, I like to be snug on my long runs. It doesn't bother some people - I'll see some people running past me with just a t-shirt on and wonder how on earth they do it! I also put the old nipple plasters on as well:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts