Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the lookout for a new watch, so give me your make, mode, functions, pros and cons s'il vous plait. :d

·
Registered
143 Posts
oui senor boaby, as they say in italy!

I have a Nike watch with lots of knobs and whistles, but use my HRM when training which tells me little about splits etc.

Will probably upgrade to a Garmin GPS next spring if I'm still into this running malarky

ca va? (or awright, as they say in our neck of the woods, boaby!!)

flakey

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
BoabyBoy said:
I am on the lookout for a new watch, so give me your make, mode, functions, pros and cons s'il vous plait. :d
I've got a Casio Phys 3000C which I got from Sporttek for £23. It's OK but the start and stop buttons are on the face of the watch rather than the side. When your trying to clock lap splits it's a bit tricky to press. The good things about it are the 'splits' functionality and the countdown feature which is great for doing timed sessions. It lets out a loud alarm once the countdown has finished (perfect for 1 min fartleks).

I've heard the Timex Ironmans are quite good, I should have spent a bit more and got one of those.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have a timex ironman, which does what I wan it it to i.e. mostly intervals

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had a look at the timex ironman range, and they look the business. Cheers folks.

A

·
0 Posts
I use a Polar s210 HRM for most of my running but occasionally if I'm not bothered about times and just want a run out I'll just wear my CWC "G10" analogue quartz. The S210 has a great heart rate monitor as you'd expect from polar but it also has adjustable interval modes, a countdown timer, splits and a six memory files. You can't get the S210 any more but it's equivalent can be Googled (I forget what it's model number is).

The CWC is a small, tough, lightweight and very comfortable analogue quartz wristwatch that's standard MOD issue to the UK armed forces but available to buy direct from the manufacturer.

A.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
Timex Triathlon
Yeah, me too.
Have used both Polar and Nike HRM's in the past, and once the novelty wore off (Ooh, look at my heart-rate...:rolleyes: ), reverted to "ordinary" watches again.:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Nike Triax C8 while i'm in the gym, Garmin Forerunner 305 while i'm out on the road (except in races where i'll use the Nike but without the HR chest strap).

I'm afraid the novelty of seeing my HR is still quite appealing to me! As is the distance I've run, pace etc...

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Nike Triax C8 while i'm in the gym, Garmin Forerunner 305 while i'm out on the road (except in races where i'll use the Nike but without the HR chest strap).

I'm afraid the novelty of seeing my HR is still quite appealing to me! As is the distance I've run, pace etc...
I've got the Forerunner 305 too. The novelty hasn't worn off for me either!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As ever, it's each to their own! If I can quantify anything then I will! It helps me see how I'm progressing and gives me motivation to keep working at it.

You're obviously a lot further up the progression slope that myself and are happy to run for the pure love of running! I do love my running, but if I wasn't improving I probably wouldn't do half as much as I do now :embarrassed:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Forerunner 201 for me, love it, tend not to look at it as often as I did, but for pacing I find it really useful.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
You're obviously a lot further up the progression slope that myself and are happy to run for the pure love of running! I do love my running, but if I wasn't improving I probably wouldn't do half as much as I do now :embarrassed:

I fell off the top of that "progression slope" a long time ago, Richard. Quantifying one's demise isn't quite so appealing as doing it for the progress, I've discovered! :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the Garmin forerunner 50. Very easy to use and it comes with a footpod which calculates distance in either miles or km. Particulary useful on longer runs as it means you dont have to plot a run and hope that you've got the distance right.

It also measures pace, speed, steps, calories etc etc. It also comes with a useful online programme which automatically downloads the data from your runs to your PC. For a little extra you can also get a heart strap.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
pedestrian said:
Yeah, me too.
Have used both Polar and Nike HRM's in the past, and once the novelty wore off (Ooh, look at my heart-rate...:rolleyes: ), reverted to "ordinary" watches again.:d
YES! Another garmin hater!!!!!:d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
steepler said:
YES! Another garmin hater!!!!!:d
Perhaps "hate" is a little on the extreme side, Steepler. I think it's just that I have a, shall we say, a prominent "traditionalist" approach to running... Ok, maybe others would call it "old-fashioned" or even "inverted snobbery"... Sort of a case of "... I did all my best running without all these gadgets, so why can't everyone else?" :embarrassed:

But I get the impression sometimes that the Garmins etc. have become more important than the actual running, and that people are depending on them in order to get out there and do the work.

... And in anticipation of a reply from our Mr Simkiss ;) ... yes I realize that these gadgets can actually enhance the whole experience of running (for some people).
Fair enuffski. :d

1 - 20 of 58 Posts