Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent years running on and off "for fun" I've finally decided to enter my first 10K race in 3 weeks time. I just wonder if there's a respectable average finishing time ? I certainly don't think I'll be anywhere under 55 minutes but don't want to come in last! :eek: I've run the distance many times but my route usually includes lots of off road hill work and I tend to take it quite easy. Yesterday I thought I'd do the run on the road and finished in 1hr 12 mins 41 sec (this did include a short stop to put an injured bird out of its misery mind you!) My training so far this year has been quite intermitant due to an ongoing knee problem which thankfully seems to be pretty much sorted now. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can increase my speed with only 3 weeks left to go (I'd really like to do it in under an hour ... am I going to completely embarass myself with my current time? :huh:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Whatever you do will be respectable Sarah.....even if you finished last....as you need to think of the good the run is doing for you and the fact that not everyone can run 10k.

Probably not a lot you can do to pick up speed in 3 weeks...but do try to do some sprints between lamp posts and find a hill to run hard up...you'll get stronger and that will help with speed on the day.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
There will be no embarassment Sarah.

There will only be well earned pride when you cross the finishing line.

And you wont be coming in last.(not that it matters if you did).

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree completely with Steve and Dave. You certainly won’t embarrass yourself, whatever your time - unless you start elbowing old ladies out of the way and screaming obscenities at any one who dares to beat you:p ... But, as you’re the kind of person who would interrupt a training run to help an injured bird, I really don’t think that’s likely.

Enjoy the 10k and don't forget to smile for camera when you cross the line :)

Slowsteve

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Slowsteve said:
elbowing old ladies out of the way and screaming obscenities at any one who dares to beat you

Slowsteve

...that's what I do? What's wrong with that?:d :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You'll be quite a way off the back of the field with a time of about an hour... though there'd be no shame if you were at the back of the field! Best of luck :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
When I do my first 10k (or first proper 5k even) I won't be ashamed to come last, just wouldn't want to come last by a long way! :d

Have a look at the previous years race results if you can and see where you might sit.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Just running a 10k is respectable!

A few weeks ago I was getting frustrated because my times weren't improving quite as quickly as I liked.

Compare that to being sidelined and not even knowing if I will reach the starting line for my next (and only second) race... And I would be happy to trundle around 10k in an hour and a half at the moment!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
erm.... I hope you're not planning on doing that on Saturday :confused:
Been sharpening my elbows all day...did I not tell you about my ******* Tourettes problem?!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
SarahE said:
Having spent years running on and off "for fun" I've finally decided to enter my first 10K race in 3 weeks time. I just wonder if there's a respectable average finishing time ? I certainly don't think I'll be anywhere under 55 minutes but don't want to come in last! :eek: I've run the distance many times but my route usually includes lots of off road hill work and I tend to take it quite easy. Yesterday I thought I'd do the run on the road and finished in 1hr 12 mins 41 sec (this did include a short stop to put an injured bird out of its misery mind you!) My training so far this year has been quite intermitant due to an ongoing knee problem which thankfully seems to be pretty much sorted now. Can anyone give me any tips on how I can increase my speed with only 3 weeks left to go (I'd really like to do it in under an hour ... am I going to completely embarass myself with my current time? :huh:
You should probably run a quicker time under race conditions Sarah my best advice to you would be not to set off too fast ie don't get too caught up in the atmosphere and sprint off too quick it will really help!

Most important of all is enjoy it:d

Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I think I do tend to put far to much pressure on myself sometimes.... I'll just have to remember that its my first race and not expect to much I suppose ..... I have this vision of me being so late in that everyone has packed up and gone home already ! I'm sure that won't happen though .... hope not anyway! :p

·
Registered
664 Posts
You'll be absolutely fine Sarah, and a long long way from the back. In some ways it's almost humbling to see folk who are nowhere near fit enough doing the best they can for charity, even if they have to walk a fair bit of the distance. Did the Men's Health Forum 10K in Glasgow yesterday, and the route looped back on itself, so as I was passing the 8k point (for an eventual 45:24) there were folk still on the way out at 3K, and much respect to them for having the gumption to give it a go - who knows what it may lead them on to. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sarah I'm doing my first 10k on Thursday, I've been feeling a bit scared of coming last.

I'm sure we'll be fine. Like tonight before I went for my run with a group I felt sick I had got it in my head I couldn't do it as I had a nightmare of a run yesterday. Anyway I started off and yes it was killing me to keep up, but I suddenly got this determination from somewhere and pushed myself so hard I ran faster than I normally do. I was saying to myself this running will not beat me and if they can do it so can I.

Just hope I get that feeling on Thursday.;) Good luck with your training :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sarah/Dimple

Just enjoy the event...it's a gauranteed pb whatever you do and once you've finished you'll be dead chuffed with yourselves!!

Best of British to you both

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Steve ...... looking forward to getting my first PB! :p

Good luck on Thursday Dimple :d

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did the London 10km on Sunday in Boots and Combats (Am in the army) finished in 54.14
Normally run it in 47minutes in shorts and trainers.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just run the best you can and use whatever time you finish in as a benchmark. Then next race you have a time to beat.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck Sarah and let us know how you get on.:d

·
Registered
466 Posts
Also remember that some people are more suited towards longer distances so they won't be able to thrash out a quick 10k but it doesn't mean their not as accomplished a runner. I did a 48:00 10k which isn't fast but you're always going to get some ahead of you and some behind.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts