Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Am looking to enter my first 10k, luckily I have 2 in my area around the same time.
1 is a cancer research 10k, the other is called the Brooks Brighton 10k.
I'm guessing that the cancer research one is more of a fun run while the brooks one may be a bit more serious.
Given I'm a beginner but wanted to get serious, what would I be better off doing? Does it even make a difference?
Damo

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Brighton 10k is pretty inclusive. Quick runners ( winner was 30.00 last year) but lots of less fast people too! Good event but fills up very quickly so get your entry in soon!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it is the best time when you start races - you see dramatic improvements without too much work...

i've done six races now and all of them have been local-ish races with less than 100 people in...

i'd recommend sticking to smaller races particularly for shorter races...

i pulled out of a 10k, i weren't up for it, but i've done enough 5 miles which is practically the same distance...

what i don't get is how i ran a 5 mile in under 34 minutes in february with five months running but it's taken me until august (another six months!) to start getting similar times in training!...

damo, running can become a bit frustrating at times, but i'm keeping at it for the moment... enjoy your race!...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
what i don't get is how i ran a 5 mile in under 34 minutes in february with five months running but it's taken me until august (another six months!) to start getting similar times in training!...

damo, running can become a bit frustrating at times, but i'm keeping at it for the moment... enjoy your race!...
See people keep telling me that if I race my times will improve, but deep down I worry that I won't be able to replicate my training pace under the pressure of a race. All my PBS have been done on individual time trials. I can regularly run 5ks sub 20, 10ks sub 40 and I once ran a half marathon in 1:25 in training, but part of me worries I'll choke in a race and it will put me of running. I guess at some point I'm going to have to stop being a big sissy and just go for it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
See people keep telling me that if I race my times will improve, but deep down I worry that I won't be able to replicate my training pace under the pressure of a race. All my PBS have been done on individual time trials. I can regularly run 5ks sub 20, 10ks sub 40 and I once ran a half marathon in 1:25 in training, but part of me worries I'll choke in a race and it will put me of running. I guess at some point I'm going to have to stop being a big sissy and just go for it.
well you can't do much worse than me JBB... my last race i got lost and didn't even finish it - just went home after feeling a bit of a fool :( !... i haven't done a race since then and although it certainly hasn't put me off running - am doing more than ever before - it has put me off entering races on my own again...

you have nothing to lose by doing races but you must enjoy it otherwise don't bother... it is meant to be fun and you seriously don't need to do races to keep you running... even after doing races you'll have the same problem... you'll do any amazing run and get a very fast PB and you'd be worried that you wont be able to beat that!... i don't think i'd beat my 5k time for a while yet and that's another thing that puts me off... i haven't been put off races completely... i do a bit of running at university so i'm looking forward to do races back at uni as it's different if you are running against people you know... but as i understand it JBB, you do not have a running club so it's really up to you... i've done both and decided races aren't much fun if you don't know anyone you're racing... that's why i suggest joining a running club before doing races...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi,
Am looking to enter my first 10k, luckily I have 2 in my area around the same time.
1 is a cancer research 10k, the other is called the Brooks Brighton 10k.
I'm guessing that the cancer research one is more of a fun run while the brooks one may be a bit more serious.
Given I'm a beginner but wanted to get serious, what would I be better off doing? Does it even make a difference?
Damo
Good luck with which ever one you choose, you won't feel out of place in either race:d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cant be any worse than me falling flat out over on a 5 mile race, i lost my confidence after this.

For a first race i think the bigger races are better, the atmosphere is great and you dont feel as your at the back (unlike the smaller races) .. whatever one you do you will enjoy it...... the best feeling ever is going across that finish line.

:p

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm doing a Cancer Research 10k this September. I've done the Race for Life twice, and the atmosphere is fantastic, so I thought I'd kick off my 10k career in a similar way. Loads of runners to keep you going, many of whom are only aiming to get round. I guess it depends whether you're interested in getting a great time or just enjoying a laid back first race. Personally I'd go for the Cancer Research one, but it's up to you really! I'm hoping to do a less fun-run type 10k a couple of months afterwards when I've gained a bit more confidence.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Where are you doing your 10k Midnight is it round sandringham ??

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think i will enter for the sandringham one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes indeed it's Sandringham, I work out that way quite a lot and apparently you get to see bits of the estate you wouldn't otherwise see...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
oohhh it sounds a lovely run too, all different terrains too.... i like running on woodchip all spongey on the feet.

:)

A random answer i just come out with.

Is it time for another joke :p

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, I picked the Edinburgh Great Run for my first race, think there were about 7000 people, I knew that whatever happened I wasn't going to be last, it was a very reassuring feeling. There was an amazing atmoshpere, bands playing around the course and a huge crowd at the finish line. It was great. I reccently did a smaller race (about 500 people). They were mainly club runners and I was so scared I was going to be last - in fact I finished about half way down the field which was fine but I think until you build up your confidence a bit then a big charity race is the way to go. I agree with the others though, I think you'll enjoy whatever race you do......or why not do both!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts