Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a freelance journalist researching a feature for Runners World looking at the 'best' running routes around the country (ie hardest hill runs, best coastal paths, most interesting inner city route etc).

I am hoping you/your members might be able to recommend a route that fits the bill and, by consensus, fits a certain criteria like the above. I would be grateful if you have any suggestions for me to consider! If so please can you post some detail on here?
I am interested in:

- best what (ie coastal path etc):
- where:
- how far:
- distinguishing features:

I do need input by close of Monday (Nov. 20th) . I hope to hear from you and thank you in anticipation!
Best
Nicola

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here in Mid Argyll we are spoilt for choice on trail runs. One of my favourites is at Ardcastle Woods near Lochgair. Its a mixture of running on forestry tracks and paths. The route is about 5 miles with 700ft of ascent and takes you down to the shore of Loch Fyne with great views of the wildlife as you go. I regularly see deer, gannets, eider duck and once even a pod of dolphins playing though I couldn't keep up with them! The route leaves the shore and takes you past an old burial ground before returning to the car park. The Forestry commission are keen to welcome visitors to the wood and there's good parking and the route is waymarked with yellow markers.

Map of Ardcastle Wood

Its great for a Sunday run and an ideal route to have the dog running alongside. It's a perfect mix of great scenery and a challenging trail run. You can also choose to do the shorter red route 1.5 miles or blue route 3 miles or any combination of to build up the mileage.

Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Nicola

Where I live in Norwich I try to vary my route as much as possible so I don't get too bored!!

There are plenty of places to run, Mousehold Heath near the centre of Norwich is a good crosscountry run through the woods and you wouldn't realise you're in a city! Another good one is running along the river path from the Law courts down towards Cow Tower through to Pulls Ferry, seeing the cathedral on your right, you can either head into Cathedral close or continue along the path to Prince of Wales Road and then decide the rest of your route from there.

The one I ran today, goes along an old railway path and will eventually connect to the Marriots Way footpath which you can follow to Reepham, its fairly flat but is relatively traffic free, takes you through the countryside, some of it is woodland. The distance depends on how far you want to run. To Reepham is approx 14 miles, its a good idea to have someone the other end to drive you back though!! The main routes are not hilly but its possible to add hills in, especially near the cathedral as there's Ketts Hill and Gas Hill which are quite steep.

I think I have seen a picture of someone running across Mousehold with the Cathedral in the background in an edition of runner's world. its a great mazagine with lots of handy info and articles.

Not sure if this helps though.
:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Nicola

Best route is definitely a lap around Richmond Park - starting @ Kingston Gate. The under foot is great and the course is by no means flat, its bloody tough (7.25 miles but some say 7.5 miles).

Robin Hood Hill (5.5 miles into the run) is a killer, often you will see people walking up there or even better cyclist pushing their bikes up the hill.

The most inspiring thing about running around Richmond Park is also the number of elite athletes you spot - such as Mo Farah, Sonia O' Sullivan, David Clarke, The Kenyans, Craig Mottram etc. It's a real running magnet. and great for motivation.

You are constantly nodding and greeting follow athletes as they run towards you, running the opposite direction.

The scenery is beautiful and it reminds me on a nice sunny day of running in Kenyan, the deers and the stags, miles of green fields and trees.

Anyhow good luck with the report / feature, I will look forward to reading your report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts