Basmati brown rice

Green lentils
Black eyed beans
Mung beans
Mixed beans including Cannellini beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans
Cannellini beans
Butter beans
Haricot beans
Vinaigrette mixed bean salad including red kidney beans, black eye beans, green beans, haricot beans, borlotti beans, sweetcorn, red peppers

Potato - white & sweet potato usually baked

I eat from this list as a main diet most days.
All comments are appreciated as I am sure I can eat more food.
For example: I would like to make soups

Dean

·
Registered
159 Posts
mardleybury said:
My main food types are....

Apple, Pear, Banana, grape, orange, Black eyed beans, Mung beans, Mixed beans including Cannellini beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans, Cannellini beans, Butter beans, Haricot beans, Vinaigrette mixed bean salad including red kidney beans, black eye beans, green beans, haricot beans, borlotti beans, sweetcorn, red peppers.
Blimey!

But seriously... There's a lot of sugar (fruit) there and a lot of carbohydrates (beans) but not a lot of protein. Do you eat meat? Also I'd be careful with all that fibre that you're not
ing out more nutrients that you're eating. What about dairy? Calcium?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is a seriously strict diet how long have you been eating like that? :confused:

love the cartoons jason laughed out very loud

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

well last summer I was told by the hospital I was to avoid wheat in my diet. I had been unwell for many years and kept having tests for diabetes which kept coming back normal.

I have not kept to the diet all the time since they told me but when I kept to the diet I felt a lot better in myself. I am on it again now and losing about 2lb a week although I do not feel hungry.

I am not keen on meat or fish and read that Quinoa is high in protein which is why I eat some most days. If I had to eat meat I would and it would be chicken. For fish I could eat tuna.

You made me laugh about ****ing. Believe it or not I go a lot less now I am on a wheat free diet. Could I really be losing all the nutrients eating a high fibre diet?

Thanks for the responses

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I forgot to say about dairy.
I have a thin slice of cheese on a baked potato most days.
I only have a tiny amount of cows milk with a cup of tea about 5 or so cups a day.
No other dairy. Could I improve on it?

Dean:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Heya,

I'm a veggie, who also recently got put on a wheat free diet too (damn I miss cereal!!!)!! But I would agree with Jason's comments about dairy, I never used to eat that much and i ended up being really run down and exhausted,which was apparently due to a B12 deficency and anaemia, because I didn't eat meat or that much dairy I was missing out on vital nutrients. I was actually impressed at how easily I found it to include more dairy in my diet, for instance natural yoghurt is yummy with all types of fruit, cheese of various forms can be sprinkled on top of many things and put in salad and Ive been making myself eat eggs a bit more regularly (according to my doctor they are packed with b12), and if Im suddenly aware I havent had much recently I just use it as an excuse to have some yummy cocoa!!! If you don't eat dairy either out of choice/necessity, it might well be worth bugging a doctor for some dietary advice/suggestions - your body needs proteins to repair itself and keep it strong, both of which are important if you want to up the distance/frequency of your runs!

As for soup, I could (and often do) live of soup - absolutely love it!! And it is incredibly easy to make and its great coz you can freeze it till you need it...you just need to boil any veg/beans/whatever in some veg stock, throw in a load of fresh herbs/spices and blend it all up (or just half if you like chunky/bitty soup) (add lots of potato if you liek it thick)! Or you can roast the vegetables and then broil them in stock then blend. But it is really simple, there are loads of reciepes online if your type of person who likes to follow things, you may have guessed - I dont - I like trial and error!! And soup is an easy way to add in some dairy - just mix in creme fraiche or natural yoghurt when your reheating it! Thats a good way to sneak them in if you dont like the taste of cream/yoghurt!!

Hope that helps pr at leats makes sense!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi KathrynJane

Thanks for the indepth comments. Much appreciated.

I could add eggs into my diet more often as I do like them. I don't think I even have 1 a week at the moment. I shall make an effort to have more for sure!:d

I can't say I have tried natural Yoghurt. I will buy some and give it a go.

As well as training to run I do weights at the gym. I think maybe I should ask the gym for some nutritional guidance as well.

As for soup you have given me some great suggestions.
I would like to give broccoli soup a go. I saw you put creme fraiche or natural yoghurt and something tells me this should be added to broccoli soup. I will search Google for some recipes until I know what I am doing :confused: .

I really appreciate the feedback.

Dean

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hiya :)

If it's specifically wheat you can't eat, there's actually a lot of recipes you can modify to use with, eg chickpea flour, rice flour etc

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
EGGS are a great form of protein and excellent for repairing muscle tissue.

Like you KJ I make my own soup I haven't done it for I while but I just make it up as I go along, and I really like the idea of yoghurt in the soup I am gonna try it.

TT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi

to answer Katten yes wheat/gluten to be avoided.

I have started adding eggs and natural yoghurt to my diet.
Not bad at all. :d

I hope to make a soup this coming week. Will let you know how I get on.

I aim to include chicken and tuna this week also.

Thanks for all comments.

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi

to answer Katten yes wheat/gluten to be avoided.

I have started adding eggs and natural yogurt to my diet.
Not bad at all. :d

I hope to make a soup this coming week. Will let you know how I get on.

I aim to include chicken and tuna this week also.

Thanks for all comments.

Dean

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi

I like Quinoa as well. Its really good for you apparantly as it one of the only foods that has all 8 of the 'Essential Amino Acids' that the body cannot produce itself.

I didn't know there was a red variety though. That would make your dinner look a bit more colourful.

The Minx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mix the red with the white.

Quinoa from what I have read has more protein in it than chicken.

I find the white is softer than the red so combining the 2 gives a nice texture.

The red I buy though comes from france through an organics shop locally.

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

An update on my diet:

I have eaten more...

Eggs
Natural Yogurt
Chicken Breasts

Thanks for the advice, it was good for me

I still have to make a soup as was suggested.

Dean

·
Registered
6 Posts
i make my own soups and love butternut squash with celeriac, simply dice half celeriac, half squash, 1 large onion and just cover with water and add two chicken/veg oxo cubes or if you are being really inspired make your own stock, bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes then blitz, lovely with a little grated parmesan on top, enjoy!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts