Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enter a race that is?:d :d

Was it easier than you thought it would be, or harder?
What made you enter?
Did you enjoy it? Did you prefer the training to the race itself?
Did you think you'd never race again?
Have you still got your goodies?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Southend 10k. October 06.................:cool:

Harder than I thought.........................:eek:

Forumites suggested entering..............:mad:

Loved it................:d (Have run 12 races in the 9 months since that 1st one.)

Couldn`t wait for the next one. (Only Waited 2 weeks !! )...........:)

Still got the T-Shirt...............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
August 30th/86

A 4-leg relay race at Saddleworth and I was given a 2½ mile fell section with 800ft of ascent which I completed in 25.05. Was in a state of collapse after it but we came away with 48 cans of beer for being the first pub team home.
Cheers!

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
First race I ever did was the Darlington 10k in 2004 before I'd joined a club. I got round in 43.58

Since then I've done it every year:

2005 - 37.18
2006 - 36.43

Just shows how much quicker you can get when training with a club. I'll be back again this year trying to beat my course PB!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
First race i ever did was 5k, my dad did the 10k in Fleet Hampshire, i was 11 years old about 1988, if this counts. Stopped running when i was 14 boys became more interesting at that age.
Next time after that long break was last year.
Ran race for life, didnt really train, went and done it after 3 training runs in 24mins, never looked back since. hayley

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
It was a jogscotland 5k that was run in conjunction with the Monklands Half Marathon in Coatbridge. It ended up being more difficult than running 5k on the treadmill, which I had managed no problem in the weeks leading up to the race. I also made the obvious beginners error of running too fast at the start and having to slow down a bit at the end.

This year I skipped the 5k race and did the half marathon. That was my first half, but it didn't feel much harder than the 5km - amazing what a years worth or training can do.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Grant said:
That was my first half, but it didn't feel much harder than the 5km - amazing what a years worth or training can do.
Funnily enough my first ever 10K (43.09) had me on my knees nearly, but a ½ marathon the very next day (95.21) was an absolute breeze. It was at that point I decided I was a distance runner.
Cheers!

·
Registered
664 Posts
BUPA Edinburgh 10K May 2006

Easier, in the sense that I did a faster time than expected, because I didn't realise the extent of the lift you get from the other competitors, spectators etc.

Entered with a crowd from work for charity.

Loved it, nothing beats the race itself.

Couldn't wait for the next one.

Still got the medal and t-shirt (ate the banana !)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bristol Half Marathon 2006
Found it hard but as I expected (carrying a bit of extra baggage - still am :embarrassed: )
Entered for a bet with a mate (thought I would not make it !!
Really enjoyed it, prefered it to the training
got me hooked, have finished the Bath 1/2 and entered Bristol 1/2 this year (going to apply for the London Marathon next year as well)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
(going to apply for the London Marathon next year as well)

I assume that was a slip of the fingers on the keyboard Granty................................:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
First race - Silverstone 1/2 2006

The race was easier than I thought.

I wanted to get into running, so I set myself a goal.

I hated the training especially the long runs and wouldn't do any speedwork, my attitude towards it was my trainers should be lucky that I am putting them on and going out at all. Thankfully my attitude is alot better these days, probably came with improvement of fitness :d

I wanted to race again without a doubt.

I still have my running number, medal, t-shirt and kit bag anything edible has gone :eek:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The FLM 2005 was my first.
I only did 3 months training as I didn't realise that you should have a base mileage.:eek:
Everything about the training was new to me.
I think the fact that I didn't know what to expect made the training enjoyable.

The race was fantastic although I was an hour slower than I predicted!! I came in at 5hrs 17mins.

I said never again at the finish but have taken part in the two FLM's since
2006- 4hrs 20mins
2007- 3hrs 53mins

I still have everthing from the first race including the foil blanket.

How about yourself Steve?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hot foot said:
How about yourself Steve?

First race was St Neots 1/2M in 1986.
Can't recall too much about it to be fair. I finished in 1hr 46" and didn't do another race for about 3 years. Since then the course has changed and my pb for the half was run on the current course 3 years ago.
I remember doing some long training runs with my best mate...who was on a bike...and almost being run over by a car that simply chose to ignore the fact that I was on the road. Certainly didn't do any speed work or hills.
I wasn't put off running...I was busy with other sports at the time.
Not got anything left from the goodie bag...but I do still have the photo of me finishing...beard and all:eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was Plymouth 1/2 2007!

I entered in January after having too much wine and thought it would inspire me to loose weight.

It inspired me to loose 2 1/2 stone, run it in 2 hours 7 and have done 1 10k race since, but have entered 2 more 1/2s and another 10k for this year!

I still have the medal, t-shirt and race number! and have definately caught the running bug!!

Jo

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Mine was the Plymouth Race for Life in 2006. I'd trained with my fat club previously but not entered the race and I'd found it difficult to keep up with them so I decided to enter myself, followed a walk/run programme to the letter, got injured running in the wrong shoes and two half marathons later I'm still doing it but it hurts slightly less now.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'll take that challenge Steve.

My first race was the Cardiff Half-Marathon 2006. I didn't really have a clue what to expect and the nerves really kicked in when I saw a lot of "proper" runners walking to the start area. I got to the rear of the pack after a small warm-up and stayed next to some people and tried to stick with them before the start. After the ambulance had crawled through the pack we started and I just flew through the race. The buzz of the race kept me flying and I did a 1:44.

It gave me the taste of a proper race and I have done a few more since.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My first race was a 10k, in Exeter... I think... It was really hard, and thinking back, it's amazing how much stronger and faster I am. I forget what time I finished in.

My first marathon is the race that sticks in my mind, though; that came at the end of a lot of effort and progress, and feels like much more of an achievement (Paris 2001, 3:55:57). I keep getting faster, and sometimes wonder how many of my old gym teachers I could out-run now :cool: Next up is Amsterdam, hoping to crack 3:15.

I keep all medals, generally put the T-shirts to good use, and usually keep my running numbers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts