Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been into this for about a month and am taking things slowly. I can jog almost a mile in one go and my first aim is to be able to run all the way. I have my eye on a couple of 5km races next summer, one in July and one in August that are very local to me. I'm guessing its a bad idea to sign up for anything this year unless I know I can make it?

When did others enter their first race after taking up running? I'm eager to improve but dont want to run before I can jog!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Actually, it's often a good incentive to do the training, and you'll improve very quickly after your first mile, to the 3rd of a 5k... so give yourself like 2-4 months, you could do a 5k I'm sure!! The first race I entered was a half marathon about 2.5 years after I started running. This was just because I'm not a competetive person in the slightest and didn't see the point, and had always been about the endurance in running rather than speed, so went for the longer distances... however, now that I've seent he benefits of the motivation of a looming race day, and from the speedtraining, I've now entered a pleothora of halves and 10ks.

Like I always say though; GO FOR IT!!! No harm in entering.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
go for it enter a race whats the worst that could happen you might have to walk, that's no big deal.

I entered a 1/2 marathon with very little running experience, in hindsight I might have lowered my sights to a shorter distance, but that didn't occur to me, and I have done a fair few since.

go for a 5k at first, it will give you incentive and once you have done your first race you will be so elated you won't stop talking about it.

TT :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I did the same as TT and entered a 1/2m for my first race 22 years ago...did a lot of training for it though..did 1hour 46mins .

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would like to add I did do a 13 week training schedule but still not long enough if you are not used to running, as I wasn't.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I entered my first race a few weeks ago, but don't run it until the 24th august. I started running at Easter and couldn't run for one minute let alone one mile.

I have just looked and I am listed as race number 51 :d

I would agree with the experienced. Put your name down. It is a great incentive. Just went for an easy run. 10k in 55ish minutes. I class it as easy as I stopped by the sea after 5 to get my breath back :p

·
Registered
674 Posts
My first race was the Race for Life last year. It made me train for a couple of months before, but then I lost the plot a bit. However, I moved in February to a village and it's soooooooo much easier to run around here than it was in the city. I did my second race for life this year after a twelve week training in run up to it - at the start of that twelve weeks I couldn't run for two minutes/walk for two minutes over twenty in total. The race gave me a real incentive, and this year I've entered a 10k and a half marathon to keep me going. I find having goals is vital for me to give me something to aim at, but everyone's different :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Can't speak for the longer distances as I haven't done them. But I decided to do a 10k with a crowd from work for charity. Downloaded a 13 week training plan, although I started with maybe 3 weeks extra to spare, and found that by sticking to the plan I was comfortable by the time of the race, and in fact did a better time than I expected. You'll find having a real race as a target is a great motivator to stick to your training plan, and once you do the race it's just such a buzz that you can't resist signing up for another, and you're hooked !

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
My first race was the Edinburgh half marathon on the 16th March this year. I started running in January. If I hadnt signed up to the half marathon I would probably not be still running and weighing 2 stone less than I did in January :)

I also downloaded a 13 week plan and stuck to it, I had a couple of weeks spare as well and this allowed me to build up to a comfortable fitness. Im glad I stuck to the plan as it really did help me complete the race, which was my main aim, I didnt care about what time I finished in :)

Looking back maybe going straight in to a half marathon wasnt the best plan but to be honest, I didnt know any different and Im now signing up to the shorter distances and really looking forward to them.

O.

·
Registered
511 Posts
First race I actually entered was FLM 2009, as I took the decision being fat and 40 something needed to be done and it would be better to have a goal to ensure I kept at it. Although now I've actually started 'running' and feeling the multitude of benefits I don't really find motivation a problem (yeah I know, wait till winter!).

First race I will actually be running will be the Anglesey Half :)'( ) in mid-Sept, courtesy of the recommendation of good people on this site :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
First race I actually entered was FLM 2009, as I took the decision being fat and 40 something needed to be done and it would be better to have a goal to ensure I kept at it. Although now I've actually started 'running' and feeling the multitude of benefits I don't really find motivation a problem (yeah I know, wait till winter!).

First race I will actually be running will be the Anglesey Half :)'( ) in mid-Sept, courtesy of the recommendation of good people on this site :d
I love running in the winter it's the best, hopefully you will like it too, it really isn't that bad :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I used a race entry as my motivation to get going... I started running/jogging/wheezing round a 1.9mile route in late November '05 and decided to enter a half marathon with a friend (who was a LOT fitter than me)... the half marathon was in late april, may have been early may, which gave me 5 months to train - I managed it fine (and later also decided to enter a 10k race during my training as a build up to the half).

Go for it! :d We'll help you with your training/motivation, that's a promise :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
I much much prefer running in winter... strangely enough.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! I'm looking for races which are close to home and I dont have to travel hours to get to, or worse stay overnight as I dont have any holiday left this year to book (used it all up for driving lessons!) theres a 10km taking place at Longleat House in October this year which is only 30 miles from me that is very temping......

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's not. I find it easier to stay warm enough running in winter, whereas I find it really hard to stay cool enough running in Summer. At the moment it might not be very very sunny, but mostly it's really close and horrible, even at like 7am when I go out! It sucks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I ran my first ever race on 5th July 1981, The Mansfield Half marathon

I've learnt so much since those days :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its a good incentive to have a end goal, Keeps the legs moving when your mind says STOP

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did my first race on Sunday, it was a 5K race for life. I started running in January and normally run three mornings a week, but started off following a run/walk program.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts