Runners Forum banner

How old were you when you started running?

• 5-11

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 12-15

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 16-19

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 20-25

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 26-30

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 31-40

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 50+

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I ran as a kid, running in fun runs while my Dad raced, I also cross country's and track running, I was OK but never outstanding. I did FLM in 1997 but really just got round as I wasn't keen on putting the miles in (better things to do as an 18-19 year old!) and preferred to play football.

Since then I've broken a few bones playing football. The last time made me decide not to play again. I work in an office and started getting fat and unfit, I thought I'd better do something about it but wasn't sure what. One week I noticed that there was a local 10k, I entered it (it was only a few days away) and ran it with no training, I struggled but really enjoyed it and have run ever since.

Next week my life story......... :d

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
I never really ran much at school apart from a few cross county races. When I was about 20 I started jogging in order to keep fit for my karate class. After a couple of years plodding round on my own I decided to join a running club. Now I do a bit of karate to help my running :). It was joining a club that really got me into racing and training correctly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had done a couple of half's in my 30's, then the London. Gave up football aged 40 as i was fed up of the injuries and joined my running club. 13 year's later i'm still enjoying it as much if not more than ever before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a bit of x country at school but that was it until I was nearly 50. I'd played cricket until late forties and then felt the need for something active.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also did a bit of XC at school but then had a period of about 10 years where barely ran t all and got fat and lazy :) Now I'm back into the running and feeling much healthier for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the usual forced running at school.

Hit my mid 20's having done next to no exercise since school and decided it was time to do something, started running on the treadmill at the gym and gradually built it up. Entered a race for life and decided it was time to hits the roads....that was 2 years ago and I have been running on and off since (more off than on but I'm working on it!!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Started nearly a year ago in order to get in shape. Never thought I would enjoy it and aimed to do only 3 runs a week of 5km.
Things turned out different. I've just entered a marathon.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I started when I was about 18, ran the 2nd ever London marathon, got totally obsessed with running and ran all times of the day and night. It was not unusual for me to go out at 10pm for a 20 mile run!

Consequently I burnt out and gave it all up in 1987ish, having run 12 marathons and numerous shorter distances.

I hit a mid life crisis at 38, pulled my trainers back on and started all over again. Now almost 43 I'm running about 5 marathons and 3 ultras a year.

Once a runner, always a runner I guess

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started running 2 years ago - aged 54 as a way of keeping fit and got hooked !

I've since completed 6 - 10k's, 5 - Half Marathons and am currently training for the Neolithic Marathon in April as I got rejected from FLM. My one regret is that I didn't start when I was younger. Catching up is hard work :)

I can't even think what it would be like not to run at least 2 or 3 times a week.

RD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Misspent youth

We used to be sent on cross-country runs for punishment. Can you think of a better way to get out of classes? That's when education got you places!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
It will be 10 years next month.
When I was 17 I played basketball and our coach took me to run a half-marathon. It was great but I didn't think about running anymore until the folowing year.

I trained for two weeks before it and in the last day before the race I met that coach (hadn't seen him for almost a year).
He asked me if I wanted to start training a bit more seriously... I was very unsure but said yes.

Almost 10 years ago... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Started running at 36 to lose weight, didn't like it much until i joined local club and discovered cross country, now 41 and love it all but especially xc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a drunken conversation in 2002 me and a mate of mine decided to enter the GNR but I never really bothered much with the running for another 18 months or so when I entered the Great Manchester Run. After being compreshensively beaten by another mate who smokes and is about 15 years older I thought "I'll have him next time!" I then started entering a few smaller local races and got hooked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started running in July 04, after accidently getting on a set of scales. Back then I was 15.8. :eek:
After that I got bitten by the bug big time. Now I've got down to 12.3, and plucking up the courage to enter my first 10k soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
stopped drinking in 2000 and took to the gym
soon got bored with that,after seeing notice
for Wesham 10k decided to have a go and the
rest as they say is history:d :d

·
Registered
64 Posts
Started running 2 years ago, I used to weigh 18.5 stone and after fad dieting and losing a bit I took up running and the "I'm going to run a marathon" philosophy. Hooked now and like others wish I had started years ago, now I know what I am capable of!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts