Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me as if 75% of race runners are 30+ and that on talking to them most of those started running late...ie not at school age.
Does this ring true with you?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I started when I was 15 and I'm now 38.
Ran at at school and into college. Didn't get really serious until I was 20.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I only ran at school as punishment. Maybe that is what put me off for so long. We had a gym teacher who was ex-Army, Miss Lockheart. She would send us out in the middle of winter, on a 'carefully planned' freezing cold day, all the shortcuts home were blocked off, and because we were all unfit, we really suffered.

So it took me 27 years to try it again......and very glad I did.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should add that I only really started running when I gave up football, hockey and lacrosse in my early 30s. All my best times have been posted since turning 40 3 years ago so life really does begin at 40.
Steepler, that means you'll be even quicker in a couple of years!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I started running in March 2005 when I also gave up smoking after 27 years. The only thing I regret is that it took me so long to do it.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I found it easier to give up smoking than I ever thought possible,which is why I regret that I waited so long to do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've always been able to run but started "proper" last October. I'm now 37 going on 38 and am well aware that I'm not going to necessarily get faster which is a shame. I also wish that I'd started 15 years ago - that way I could have improved over shorter distances.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Started late January this year just after 52nd birthday. All came about because of an idea in work to raise money for charity at the Edinburgh 10K in May. If I was gonna do it I wanted to be able to run, so I downloaded some training schedules, took advice from runners I knew, and worked hard at training. What I absolutely did not expect was to enjoy the training, and the buzz on the day exceeded anything I could have imagined. Hadn't done any exercise for years, and that had never been running, which I had always dismissed as boring. I'm pleased with what I've achieved this year, and think I can improve some more, just wonder what might have been possible if I'd got into it a long time ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Started running last year. I was supposed to do the race for life with my sister-in-law but I found out that I was no where near fit enough, I had refused to walk the 5k. So as my 2006 new year resolution I was going to do this year and I did (aged 28).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Started early this year, largely as a bet that I could beat my mate in a half marathon, I had never run since school and also perceived it to be boring and something that I would not like.

However, once I got up to a certain level of fitness I got hooked and now have continued to train for another half. (age 30 ish :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only started a few months ago and very suprised that I enjoy it so much. Hated running at school in the obligatory gym knickers :eek: . I sign up for races to keep my motivation up and next year am planning a half marathon. I'm slowly starting to get fitter after over 10 years of absolutely no exercise (I'm 29).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've only started running since August this year, i'm 42 years young and am loving every minute of it...I will never be the fastest or most elegant runner there is but hey who cares...I feel fitter, healthier than I ever did in my 20's....like a lot of you I wish I had done it years ago

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been running on and off for the past 10 years or so. But to be honest it mainly been "off" than "on".

I have restarted yet again recently and this time I am really determined to keep it up. I have entered my first race and tole everyone I know about it - that way I will have to run come what may, or explain to all my friends why I backed out.

These days I run for fitness as I am quickly approaching 40 and need to get a handle on the expanding waistline before it gets out of hand. I also run as I find it relaxing. With a busy job and young children it is a guaranteed period of "me" time where I can de-stress.

In the last month I have steadily increased my mileage up to 5 miles and my pace has increased from 10:30 a mile to 9:15 now. I will be picking the mileage up steadily to 6.25 ( 10km) over the next 4-5 weeks.

My race is at the end of November so will report back as to how well I do. My target is for a sub 60 minute run....

Just found this forum recently, will be spending lots of time on here from now on ...

Richard

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ran off and on in my twenties (never at school), but was never really serious about it. Then had to stop in my thirties due to a dodgy knee (yes, this knee problem lasted about a decade). But the knee is now permanently fixed after an operation, and I'm starting to run again, find I have plenty enthusiasm, and can't see myself stopping now for a long time to come. I'm 43.

Having said that - I'm feeling sooo frustrated this week, as I seem to have pulled a muscle in the top arch of my foot. And now have to wait for it to heal. Aaargh.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Started running in earnest this June. I quit playing footie a year or so back and kept myself reasonably fit cycling and going to the gym. However my training had no focus or consistency. Then one drunken evening a friend and I decided to enter the Glasgow Half Marathon which I completed in September.

In the meantime I have decided I actually quite like this running malarky and might just keep at it. I'm 36 if yer interested

Flakey

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quiting footie is a common theme.....mind you when I was still playing and had been running for a few months, pre season, I was able to keep going in the annual footie bleep test until there were only 3 left, me at probably 31, and 2 teenagers so running for fitness certainly did me good that summer.

Many moons ago now though....

·
Registered
69 Posts
March this year. Got bored of the same cross-training machines in the gym so decided to try the 1 min walk, 1 min run routine. Couldn't walk down stairs properly for the next week. Gave it a second chance in April and took it from there. Had a 2 month break during the summer and blamed it on holidays, heatwave, too many evenings drinking cider in beer gardens. But back now with a gusto!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts