• 20+ miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What run do you start taking water with you?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I voted 6 to 10+, although if it's a hot day I might take water with me whatever the distance

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually only take water with me if I'm running more than 6miles.

However, this backfired at a 10km last week during the hot water - I was wishing I had water with me all the way round, because there was only one water station on the course.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I voted 16 miles +. I have never taken water with me on a run, but when I ran 16.5 miles i realised that I would have needed water if I'd run any further. I usually drink 1 or 1.5 pints of water before a run and that is usually sufficient to get me through. I then drink a pint when I get back.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
voted 6-10 miles as I used to take water with me over these distances when i ran years ago. Don't bother with water yet as i still havre to up my milage:d Always have water when cycling and if doing a lot of swimming sprint sets

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where' s the 'never' button? Never training - too lazy to carry any :rolleyes: Whenever there's a water station during races.

·
Registered
835 Posts
fandango said:
Where' s the 'never' button? Never training - too lazy to carry any :rolleyes: Whenever there's a water station during races.
I was about to ask the same question for exactly the same reason. I have only ever taken water during a race and then only at the stations.

Can we have a 'never' button please so that fandango and I can vote?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I dont seem to be able to edit the poll..........
Thank you all for your posts, as I am very interested....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't take water as I've not ran over 8 miles so I don't feel the need for it yet. However, I think if I was running a longer distance I don't think I'd feel comfortable carrying a drink for that length of time.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
zanshin said:
Always have water if doing a lot of swimming sprint sets

Good idea... or you wouldn't get very far and would look pretty silly waving your arms and legs around on the floor :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I know everyone has their own ways of doing stuff but it worries me to read some of the posts about lack of water.
I'm not going to go into a big lecture here but just offer advice and the reason behind it so don't take it personally.
I have qualifications in Anatomy and Physiology and sports therapies so I know a little bit of what goes on in the body especially during strenuous exercise such as running.

Your muscles are like radiators when they work hard and the fibres get very hot. The water you put into your body is used by those muscles to cool themselves so they can work more efficiently.

You wouldn't run a car for long without water in the radiator to cool the engine, so you really need to think along those lines...particularly on longer runs and races.

Some runners don't realise that just by taking in a small amount of water at regular intervals during a run you can increase the efficiency of your muscles, which will work harder for you and you'll run faster :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trinity, what distance (Ceteris paribus), would your more informed opinion say was sensible to take water? Myself, I dont bother until I get in the 10+ mile range, but then I will be happy to do a 11 or 12 without, it does all depend on other things other than mileage I agree.... but I would appreciate your informed thoughts.... Thanks in advance

Michael

·
Registered
56 Posts
Trinity said:
I know everyone has their own ways of doing stuff but it worries me to read some of the posts about lack of water.
I'm not going to go into a big lecture here but just offer advice and the reason behind it so don't take it personally.
I have qualifications in Anatomy and Physiology and sports therapies so I know a little bit of what goes on in the body especially during strenuous exercise such as running.

Your muscles are like radiators when they work hard and the fibres get very hot. The water you put into your body is used by those muscles to cool themselves so they can work more efficiently.

You wouldn't run a car for long without water in the radiator to cool the engine, so you really need to think along those lines...particularly on longer runs and races.

Some runners don't realise that just by taking in a small amount of water at regular intervals during a run you can increase the efficiency of your muscles, which will work harder for you and you'll run faster :)
For me it's not the benefits of water that's the issue, it's the practicality of it. Yes there are the nicely handled bottles and yes there are the backpacks, but I've found both to be burdensome.

If only they had water stations on my long Sunday runs I'd have no problems at all :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hear what you say Trin, but bearing in mind that very few of my runs last more than 45 mins I really dont have the need nor see the point. I reckon your body has a natural programme for water intake, it's called thirst.

Sometimes knowledge isn't necessarily a good thing, but that is purely my opinion.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
BASE813 said:
Trinity, what distance (Ceteris paribus), would your more informed opinion say was sensible to take water? Myself, I dont bother until I get in the 10+ mile range, but then I will be happy to do a 11 or 12 without, it does all depend on other things other than mileage I agree.... but I would appreciate your informed thoughts.... Thanks in advance

Michael

Obviously it depends to a certain extent on the weather, because if it's hot then I take water with me whatever.

But in 'average' conditions I wouldn't run further than 7 miles without having water

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
scr8pe said:
I hear what you say Trin, but bearing in mind that very few of my runs last more than 45 mins I really dont have the need nor see the point. I reckon your body has a natural programme for water intake, it's called thirst.

Sometimes knowledge isn't necessarily a good thing, but that is purely my opinion.
I generally don't take water for that distance/time. I just make sure I'm well hydrated before I go out.

You are actually dehydrating before the thirst kicks in...that's why you should never get thirsty in a race because it's too late to rectify it by then

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
fandango said:
If only they had water stations on my long Sunday runs I'd have no problems at all :cool:
Agreed... that would be more convenient ;)

Our club have strategic places where 2 litre water bottle are hidden along club run routes for Sundays... but then we are out in the country. Not so easy if you run through streets and towns

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Trinity said:
Agreed... that would be more convenient ;)

Not so easy if you run through streets and towns
I've thought that if I ever start to do longer runs on the road, I could take a pound with me then I could nip into a shop to buy a drink, then at least I don't have to carry it.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
dimple said:
I've thought that if I ever start to do longer runs on the road, I could take a pound with me then I could nip into a shop to buy a drink, then at least I don't have to carry it.
I've thought that too... but the offys aren't open when I run ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts