Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I ran my best half marathon yesterday and was delighted however, when I got on the scales this morning I was almost 2 lb heavier than when I weighed yesterday morning. I ate no more than previous days - and this always happened and I cannot lose it as quick as I gain it.

Any suggestions. (I am a veggie, don't eat cake, biscuits or chocolate) and rarely hit 2,000in one day and I am training for London.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sounds odd to me. One does weigh less first thing in the morning and gain weight during the day but after a good 1/2m I wouldn't expect on put on 2lb the following morning unless I had overindulged. Perhaps you had eaten/drunk less the night before the race in preparation and due to your efforts on race day ended up drinking eating more than you thought.
Do you keep a food/drink diary?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It might have something to do with fluid retention. After all, each litre of water weights a kilo.

I'd suggest you weigh yourself again over the next few mornings, and see if the mystery pounds drop away again.

Let us know though, becuase this is interesting.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Bideford? Probably the extra water from the soaking you all got. I know when people start weight loss plans and increase activity levels they often gain muscle tone and this shows heavier on the scales but I wouldn't have thought this applied to you coachingbird.

Do you normally weigh yourself everyday? There can be daily fluctuations in weight I only weight myself once a week.

Just another thought not due a period? Feeling constipated? Cheeky questions I know but I get the feeling you can take it!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly - I got back on the scales this morning (I am not normally obsessed with my weigh-ins but I always gain weight after a race, 6lb after London), and I had lost the weight gained over the weekend.

No period, no constipation (blimey, you can tell we're runners), no over indulging.

I have always had this problem and am interested as to why?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sounds like a good topic for a research paper. I'm sure I read something similar somewhere but can't remember where. Increase in muscle density seems the most obvious answer to more permanment weight gain but may not be the only one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts