Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any good tips on how to identify when running shoes need to be changed, or a website that provides some good points?

also, is it alright to wear old running shoes for casual wear after they are no longer fit for running, or will this be harmful?

·
Registered
664 Posts
while individuals vary, I think you'll find many change after doing 500 miles. Having settled on shoes I like I cycle through, having a pair used for races and a pair for training. When my training shoes reach 500 miles they become everyday wear, race shoes drop down to training, and get new racing shoes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Having bought an identical pair of shoes after 450 ish miles, I ran up the road in one of each (one old, one new), the difference was amazing. You get too used to the old ones, they get very comfortable, the support and cushioning breaks down and you don't always notice until you try some new ones. So make sure you don't leave it too long!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
My wallet is always on a diet :embarrassed: .... so when bits of sole start to come off I start thinking about changing shoes... And then probably take another two months to do so.

The important thing is that you still get comfort/stability/safety from your shoes. When you start losing grip, feeling uncomfortable, toes sticking out, it's time to visit the shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rarely seem to get more than about 350 miles out of my shoes before the cushioning goes in them. But I am a bit of a big lad, so my 350 is probably worth about 500 of anyone elses!:embarrassed:

I like the idea of wearing one new and one old shoe to compare the difference. I'll try that!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Like BP said, I could not belive how much cushioning my old pair had lost when I bough a new pair of running shoes - definately make sure you don't keep them too long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My shoes cost me 80 pound.

I have run over 500 miles in them, but I find it hard to force myself to buy some new ones because they look brand new.

Will do on pay day tho.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
mike84 said:
I have run over 500 miles in them, but I find it hard to force myself to buy some new ones because they look brand new.
I felt exactly the same buying my new ones, and truth be told I can't tell that much difference changing from one pair to the other... perhaps I should do the "one on each foot" comparison!

·
Registered
98 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I felt exactly the same buying my new ones, and truth be told I can't tell that much difference changing from one pair to the other... perhaps I should do the "one on each foot" comparison!
And also im quite attached to my old shoes.

Which is weird since im always buying new pairs of casual trainers.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
mike84 said:
Which is weird since im always buying new pairs of casual trainers.
Different kettle of fish though isn't it! Casual trainers are for fashion and looking good... running trainers are for... well... running?! It's all about comfort, and I know what you mean about being attached to your trainers, I think it must be something to do with knowing how many miles you've ran in them - perhaps that they've served you so well yet you're abandoning them in favour of a younger model ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Anywhere between 300-500 miles.
Some people are hard on shoes though and get less.
500 really should be the top end of their life. When you buy a new pair write in the shoe the date of purchase under the sock liner. Good tip as it's easy to forget when you purchased them!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
pedestrian said:
How do so many people keep track of the mileage that each pair of shoes has done? :huh:
I haven't a clue how far any of mine have gone! :confused:
I'm far from accurate with my estimations pedestrian! I meant more along the lines of remembering the various runs you've enjoyed in those shoes, and having some idea of how long you've had them!

My running shoe mileage is worked out on the crude method of... how many miles I do per week (on average), multiplied by the length of time i've had the shoes, add a bit more for any extra long runs, take a bit off for rest/injury periods, adjust a little more for races (depending on distances and taper etc) = a completely random figure that I figure should be with + or - 100 miles of the actual shoe distance :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Absolutely not Granty.

But I have worn 4 pairs this year,and can tell you how many miles each has done.

Why do I make these confessions.........................:embarrassed:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Since getting my latest 2 pairs (trainers + racers), i've tried to keep relatively up to date with my log on 'mapmytri.com' which you can specify your used shoe... i've currently done 6.84 miles in the racers and can't remember what on the trainers... all very accurate though! lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts