Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Just wondered if there was any way of knowing when to replace your running shoes? Ive had mine since about summer last year and I have been running with them near enough every week since.
I still find them comfortable but with the Edinburgh marathon coming up in 8 or so weeks time Im thinking about maybe getting more cushioned shoes for the longer runs....is there any tale tale signs of wear?

Ive currently got a pair of New Balance 767's.

Cheers,
O.

·
Registered
707 Posts
People will tell you different things, anything from 300-500 miles. For some that would mean replacing shoes every month though! What I would say is that you will KNOW when your trainers are shot, you will start feeling aches that aren't there because of increased activity (ie after easier, shorter runs), and they just won't feel right anymore. Also, if anything if you are going to get new shoes - get them now, you don't want to risk getting new shoes that you're not used to too close to your race. I've had my current Brooks adrenaline gts 7s (or whatever they are) since just before chrimbo. I've done about 210 miles in them thus far, they still feel fine and I reckon they'll make it to after my half at the end of the month no problem.

(that above advice as to signs of wear and tear is in my own experience, but then I pronate quite a lot, and so it's very noticeable when the cushioning is gone).

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
ANS is right about the getting new shoes sooner rather than later if you're planning to wear them for a race, as a minimum make sure you run for the same duration as you're planning to race for before the big day.

In terms of telling if your current trainers have had it... look at the sole of the trainer, is there any severe wear on any aspect of teh shoe tread? (look at the outside edge, particularly at the heel area, also check the whole of teh forefoot area) Another thing to check is the thick foam cushioning in the heel area, if you can see big/deep creases in the foam then the chances are it's lost its structural strength.

If you're trainers have completely had it, as ANS says, you may be able to feel it through minor aches and niggles etc... but ideally you want to catch the problem before it gets that far!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah I was going to say that, but couldn't think of any sure-fire observable changes... from experience all I know is that they've felt like poo.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
NB 767's are good shoes... I used to run in those.

Ideally you should have more than one pair so you can alternate them. That means that you don't find yourself in the position of going from running in shoes that have 500+ miles in them to running in brand new shoes.

I have <<cough(4ish)>> pairs of running shoes that I alternate, plus a pair waiting in the wings when one of my current pairs goes into retirement

I just keep a log of the mileage in each pair of runners as I go

·
Registered
664 Posts
Since taking up running (at a ripe age !) I've stuck to the 500 mile rule, and also the principle of having 'broken in' racing shoes and training shoes. When the training shoes have done their 500 they drop to everyday wear and are replaced with the racing shoes. Now on my third pair for training with new racers to break in.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I took my current shoes in to my local running shop and they said that although my 767's are by no means dead, they might not be the best shoe to use for the marathon as I have another 8 weeks of training to go and some high milage to clock up on them.

I was in the shop for about 45 mins trying on all sorts of shoes, the first pair were the new model of the 767s, I think they are the 787 or something like that....I take a 12.5 size running shoe and so the assistant went off and got my a 787 in 12.5. Can you believe New Balance have made the show smaller than the old model. Both say 12.5 on them but noth different sizes, not by a huge amount but enough so my big toes touched the front.

After trying on a number of different shoes I finally settled on a pair of Nike structure triax11's. Very comfy and they have a bit more support which the assistant suggested I went for since my left foot seems to roll in a touch.

My old NB 767s will be used for short distances once I have broken in my new shoes and eventually go to every day shoes while my Nikes take pride of place :)

Just noticed I can also plug an ipod nano in to my shoes!!! Has anyone tried the Nike+ with a normal Ipod Video? I don't have a nano.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I believe the Nike+ system only works with the iPod nano :(

Congrats on the new shoes though... always nice to buy some new kit - automatic motivation :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ye, had a look around the net and it seems to be Nano only.....which is annoying!

The new shoes are so comfy! Will wear them around the house for a wee bit first to make sure they are OK as the shop offer a return policy as long as they havent been worn outside.

Nothing like spending £80 on shoes to get you motivated :) I honestly think thats what kept me running when it was cold and wet outside, the thought of my misses saying "You spent £70 on those shoes and you have never used them!" :d Money well spent in my eyes, lost almost a stone in weight and its still coming off and Im loving running now!

On any other forum that last statement would probably be classed as sad or worrying :)

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I buy about 3 pairs a year...next pair will be bought after marathon Sunday and worn in for Davos Marathon in July.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I suppose seeing as I have this 15% off voucher I should maybe get another pair of trainers, lots of people say you should alternate, and it sounds like a reasonable idea... I'm not insanely rich, but of course it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, according to the people in the running shop I've just come back from, the answer to the original question is definitely NOT today, when you plan to run the FLM in them. :p

They'd just sold a brand new pair to someone who was doing just that - and wouldn't listen to reason.

I've just bought myself a second pair. I've been wanting to for a couple of weeks because I was fed up of cleaning every last bit of mud off them after my outdoor run before using them in the gym. It seemed like an extravagance though, but now that I've read (elsewhere actually, but nice to see it confirmed here too :) ) that there are good reasons for alternating, I decided to go for it. I'm not sure that with the distances I'm running it is that justified, mind you, but I've done it now :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just run in the rain/snow... washes the mud right off.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
Just run in the rain/snow... washes the mud right off.

Not off the bottoms it doesn't, not when you're running along a muddy canal towpath :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
...Ahwell. I don't ever bother cleaning my trainers for the gym. How rude of me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The first time I ran in the gym after running on mud (it was fine when I was just keeping to the pavements, but not on mud), I thought I'd be OK just to brush the worst off...

Then when I got off the treadmill, I saw the floor behind it was covered in bits of mud. Very embarrassing. :embarrassed:

Since then I've been washing it off, but it's such a faff - I'd rather not bother

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
lol @ bag ............. i bet they was sweeping after for ages after, least it gives them something to do ;)

I done a cross country in my shiney new shoes first of all they were completely covered and Mr Leece put them in the washing machine.............. NOT a good move, shrunk them by half a size :rolleyes:

NOT RECOMMENDED ha ha

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think maybe because only the middle of my long run is on trails, the last 3 miles of pounding on the pavements back must make it all fall off because I can't say I've ever noticed any muck quake.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That would make the difference, a_n_s. It's less than 100m from muddy field to my house, so it gets no chance to fall off.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
washing machine on lowest temperature possible, with some non-bio detergent and no fabric softener. Once wash cycles finished, take out and dry naturally, for gawd sake don't ever tumble dry them! lol.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts