Runners Forum banner

When to stretch ?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ryanandmel 
#1 ·
I'm trying to kep myself going with the post run stretching\warm down regime, and was wondering when is it best to do the stretching part.

Generally, immediately after my run I try and do some stretches, then take my 1.75 dogs out for their evening constitutional walk to wam down, followed by shower (am trying the cold shower bit on legs :'( )

So should I be stretching, immediately after run, after walking hounds, or post ice shower ?

#3 ·
Once you've finished your run... though stretching is good for the muscles at any time! So feel free to stretch after you've walked the dogs, or sat in front of the TV etc :)
N.B. This is assuming the muscles are warm and flexible, stretching cold/inflexible muscles risks causing damage!

#6 ·
Yup, thats the one, unfortunately Sally my lurcher\alsation cross :eek: , got diagnosed with Osteocarcoma (sp.) and had to have her leg amputated (there was no alternative) about 3 months ago. So I now affectionately refer to her as .75 or 'mostov', much to the kids horror :p (She is coping incredibly well and if it wasn't for the blindingly obvious missing bit you couldn't really tell).

#7 ·
should I be stretching, immediately after run, after walking hounds, or post ice shower ?
I've just got in from my six mile run. Took off shoes and socks. In bare feet did a full (Saigon) squat, relaxing and sinking as low as possible, elbows on inside of knees pushing outwards to stretch adductors - holding for about a minute. Then I had my isotonic drink, put in the fridge before I went out. That's it, enough for this old geriatric. Time for a shower - if only I had one!
Cheers!

#8 ·
I'm almost too scared to ask ... what's a 'Saigon squat' ? :unsure: and will it lead to probing questions from my wife if I type it in to Google ? :d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.