Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started running 2 weeks ago and am getting impatient to see results!! I really have 2 questions so please help me out.
I'm trying (and succeeding) to do 40 - 45 minutes cardio 3/4 times a week but I have been doing it in 2 shifts. (Running for 20 minutes, 5 minutes break, cross-track for 20 minutes). Is this ok or should my cardio all be in one hit.
I also lead a fairly active life and probably walk 30-40 mins 3/4 times a week. I eat about 1400 -1600 calories a day. So............. my next question is, when will I start to see some results?
Thanks
S xx

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's difficult to say, firstly do you really need to lose weight?, what is your current height/weight and body fat %?, you need a calorie deficit of 3500kcals to lose 1lb of fat and to start burning fat when you run you need to be running for 40 minutes minimum as the first 40 mins you run you will just be burning your carb/glycogen stores.

2 weeks really isn't very long at all!, you will need to be training for at least 6-8 weeks to see any noticeable results, don't reduce your calorie intake anymore as this will be counterproductive.

Sometimes people have the misguided notion that running means you will lose loads of weight really quickly, unfortunately it doesn't always work out like that

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Hi Serendipity, welcome to the forum. As Rachelina says patience is needed running is not a slimming wonder drug though it will certainly help. I must express concern though at your activity levels and calorie intake. Average calorie intake for a woman should be around 2000 per day you seem to be fairly active so should really be eating more than this. You will need the calories to fuel your body for running and exercise otherwise you will become tired and ill and not enjoy these activities. If anything you will need to eat more food but eat more sensibly, not just what you eat but how you eat. That is to eat less but more often and times of the day that you eat at.

After only two weeks your body is only just starting to get used to the cardio work and is rapidly adapting to the increased demands you are putting on your heart lungs and legs. Stick with it you will get there.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I struggle to eat 2000 calories a day squint... it's usually less.

Although if I've done a long run of 16 to 20 miles I'll have a whole pizza that evening ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I eat too much too, but the running I do makes sure I don't put on weight. I probably eat 3000 calories a day, sometimes more.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Seren. Don't get to hung up about weight loss. It sounds like you are doing the right things. In the early days it is common to tone up without noticable weight loss. Regular exercise will get results with a sensible diet but as has been said it is not a wonder fix.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I dont eat enough, compared to the excercise i do, iv put on weight from running and gym work as b4 i was prob to underweight!!
It doesnt bother me cos im still slim but the quality of my body is now better if you get me!!!
I dont go by weight, go by how i feel in clothes and look, so try enjoy what you are doing and just see what happens to your body while you excercise :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think also that as you tone and build muscle you will certainly put weight on as muscle is heavier. I think as Hayley says its about how your clothes feel and how you look, 2 weeks is only a short time I would suggest 6 - 8 weeks to see results but also suggest that you change your cardio routines at around 4 - 6 weeks just to keep the body guessing and not to get in to a comfort zone that your body will adapt too. As others have said its not just about the cardio it is about what you eat and times, I am probably one of the worst eaters and eat all the wrong foods and that's why I'm the shape I am, but when I put my mind to it and really focus then I see results in that 6 - 8 week zone. It's fair to say not to be inpatient but to keep setting small realistic goals and go for it but most all make sure you enjoy it

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Following on from my 'Why can't I lose weight?' thread, I'd like to think I've done a reasonable amount of reading on the matter lately - so I'll try and splurge some of it out while it's fresh in my mind. My apologies in advance if the info is a little blunt, but I have a lot to say ;)

an increase in activity levels through exercise may initially cause a weight increase through increased muscle mass - I'm guessing what you ideally want is to lose excess fat, look better, and feel more comfortable... (as per hayley's post). In reality, if the scales said you were 0.5st heavier than you should be, but you looked stunning, would you really mind that much? Keep on exercising and it'll pay dividends, both for physique and general health!

In terms of calorie intake - the recommended 2000kcals a day for women is based on that of a reasonably active female - someone who's day to day job involves a reasonable amount of moving around. If you're sat at a desk in an office all day, you're deemed to live a sedentary lifestyle, use this to calculate your recommended daily calorie intake (without exercise), which of course you can then add the calories burnt whilst exercising onto, to give you a personalised daily calorie allowance.

Just as an example... myself, a 12st7lb bloke, without exercise, doing a desk job, burns off around 2100 calories a day excluding exercise. An 8st 'sedentary' female would burn off ~1350kcals a day (excluding exercise & other major physical activity).

As was earlier mentioned, you need to create a calorie defecit of 3500kcals to lose 1lb of fat... now if I were to assume you were an 8st female with a desk job, you're eating 1400kcals a day, and burning off a similar amount in your normal day to day life. That's a calorie equilibrium - your weight will stay constant.

**Important Bit**
For someone weighing 8st, the body will use around 88.5kcals to run 1mile. So to lose 1lb of fat, an 8st person would need to run 39.5miles. What that equates to in terms of cardio at the gym and walking, i'm honestly not sure.

Weightloss is a slow process unfortunately - but keep at it, and don't throw in the towel - Be patient and you'll be so pleased with the results!

·
Registered
835 Posts
................For someone weighing 8st, the body will use around 88.5kcals to run 1mile. So to lose 1lb of fat, an 8st person would need to run 39.5miles.......
39.5 miles! ... only another 474 to go then! ;)

Thanks Richard, an interesting post. You're right about being happy with your lot... I'm 5'10" and my ideal weight is to be a lb under 12 stone, but the last time I looked (scales are currently broke, but that's another story!) I was 12:10

TBH I'm quite happy with the way I look, particularly when I compare thee to Fat Me in photos of just two years ago. So even at 11 lb of excess I still more than happy with the way I am.

Running has lost me weight, given me a much better shape, better health and more confidence. The only disadvantage is that I don't have any where to rest my pint when vertical drinking!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think also another valid point is the right sort of food a daily intake of 2000 cals made up of the wrong sort of carbs will also have an affect...try to keep the carbs simple whole grains etc and make sure you get the right balance of carbs v's protien etc...as all the others have said keep going don't be inpatient and I am sure all will come good in the end

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
not sure if this is something proven scientifically, but seemed to make practical sense to me. Upping the intensity of running or any exercise seems to drop the weight off. When I used to cycle a lot it did not seem to matter how I trained in the winter, I put weight on. A few weeks into the racing season and it started to drop off again. Others have mentioned about what you eat and of course going for a bit of fruit instead of a biscuit helps. But when you are fitter and can run faster I figure more weight should come off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice - but I need to 'fess up:(
I'm not an 8st babe - but an 13st, 5'9", 43 year old working mother. I think my trouble is that I don't hate myself enough yet to really change my life. I have realistic goals - I want to be a comfortable size 12, not the 14 I am now. I am spending 60-70 mins in the gym, 3/4 times a week doing 20-25 mins on the treadmill, 20 mins cross-training and 20 mins weights. I eat a fairly healthy, GI friendly, diet without too many distractions (although I can drink at the weekend!!).
Am I doing the right thing and does this gym workout meet the cardio requirement? I also walk regularly (large dog - necessity, not a choice) and have a generally quite active lifestyle. I really want to see some results (3 weeks now) and am trying to resist the urge to go back to my Atkins ways!!
Thanks,
S xx

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your current routine sounds great to me, Serendipity - sounds like pretty much everything is on track for good results. Keep that up and I think you'll see some pretty satisfying progress every month :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
resist the atkins! it's the devil! :p I don't think anything that encourages you to cut out a food type can be healthy and productive for long term weight loss ;)

The 8st I plucked out my head was just a random figure btw, I wasn't trying to guess your weight, lol. On the PLUS side, weighing more means you'll burn MORE calories doing the SAME exercise! (you'll use 144kcals to cover 1mile in distance compared to the 88kcals of someone who's 8st).

The key thing to remember is that what you're doing is fantastic, and will be benefitting your health NO END... but you'll still need to be patient, sustained weightloss isn't an instantaneous thing, it's a slow steady process but works so much better for the rest of your life than any sudden weight loss program can.

If you're frustrated at not seeing results, have you considered forgetting the scales and looking at more important factors, such as your body composition (body fat % etc...) and body measurements (etc waist, arm, thigh circumference etc).

I've heard on many occaisions ladies saying they've increased in weight since they've started running - and it's not a bad thing at all! They're just building more muscle... getting much closer to dropping a dress size, but that number on the scales may not be moving at all!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Serendipidity,

it sounds like you are trying pretty hard, so keep at it.
one thing that is a bit hard to face is the fact that if we do the same - we stay the same.
this is true, so perhaps it might be worth mixing it up a bit, maybe some all out efforts for less time to get the system really working followed by an easy one or 2 sessions or even a rest day.

just a suggestion, i admit i'm no expert, it's just that my work mate was having similar dilemma to you and i suggested hard intervals like this and he started to lose weight within a short time. he now does less but more strucured work lots of cross trainer but some hard 5 minute intervals.

good luck and another suggestion is a weight loss blog! people love em, and it will keep you well motivated and feeling great when you hit the targets.

Craig

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Eating 1400-1600 calories a day is mental with no exercise but doing so whilst going to the gym 4-5 times a week is borderline psychotic !!...

You seriously need to eat more and rethink your exercise regieme to make sure that it is suistainable long term...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I eat too much too, but the running I do makes sure I don't put on weight. I probably eat 3000 calories a day, sometimes more.
i guess that's a fair point, i also eat a lot because i dont want to lose weight with all the running so i guess i cant really relate to those trying to lose weight...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts