Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanting to do 4 sessions a week so doing my best to plan which days to do which type of session.

i did a short session on sunday evening only one hour but included some fairly hard sprints, this has made my calf muscles hurt like mad, whereby my usual jaunts circa 8 - 9 minute mile runs only cause a dull ache in the legs generally.

So the question is:
should i allow extra recovery after the harder sessions or would i benefit from doing my steady plod rides the day after.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i usually try to leave a day of rest after long/ interval sessions.. if im feeling sore i would then take it easier on my next run

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I would say if you feel up to doing a slow recovery run the next day then go for it, but if the pain is constant even when running then maybe take the day off.
Its down to personal choice I would say, only you know what the pain is like. I tend to go out if its the kind of pain I know I have got simply because I had a tough run the day before compared with the kind of pain you get when you have pulled something or hurt yourself. Does that make sense?

You can usually tell what pain is bad and what is just from excercise...

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
you'll soon learn what suits you best... I have days where my legs are aching like mad, so I'll take a rest day and I'll still be aching... come the next day I'm still really aching and have to force myself out for an easy run - but I get back and the aches have completely gone!

Other times my legs are aching, and I'll head out and finish the run knowing they're going to be a lot more sore than when I set out. Generally, factor in a nice easy recovery jog, if not a day of complete rest :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think there's nothing wrong with a nice easy recovery run after a hard sesh but that's if you have the discipline within yourself to keep it a recovery run!, otherwise take a rest day, if you're planning to do 4 sessions a week you can easily fit in a rest day after each hard session

1 - 5 of 5 Posts