Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what?

I have been given permission to get a new 305 :d

My question is; is Amazon the cheapest reputable source @ £139. I am not keen to use the likes of eBay as though I might save a couple of quid, I need to know I can find the retailer if anything goes wrong.

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
That's because SR bought it ;) lol. Be careful buying stuff from the states though... I bought a HRM a few years back thinking I was saving a packet, it got caught up in customs, I ended up paying £20 duty or whatever on it, and ultimately only saved about £5 but it took over a week to arrive! :(

Amazon is a pretty safe bet ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been caught by customs before, but fortunately still won overall.

As to the 305, I have it charging beside me as we speak :d

I got it from Halfords, Web price 139.99, collect from store. Seems to be as good a deal as anywhere and instant hands on.

Now, Hurry up 5pm so I can take it for a test drive. :love:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
nice one Hrun the only thing I was going to add was Garmin I believe won't hold up their guarantee if their product is bought off an auction site, but as you haven't done that it doesn't matter.

Have fun with it :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice one Hrun the only thing I was going to add was Garmin I believe won't hold up their guarantee if their product is bought off an auction site, but as you haven't done that it doesn't matter.

Have fun with it :d

Yup - You watch my reported 13.5 miles get reduced to 12 now I can measure it accurately :'(

I bet my pace is going to be lower than I thought it was as well. :evil:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol steady on.. you've not even used it yet :p Word of warning though, it does tend to measure shorter than you've previously measured using mapmyrun etc on routes that are very windy, or have lots of corners. ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol steady on.. you've not even used it yet :p Word of warning though, it does tend to measure shorter than you've previously measured using mapmyrun etc on routes that are very windy, or have lots of corners. ;)
The inaccuracy is likely to be with the Nike+. Measured against the car it could be up to 1/2 a mile out over 10K. Hence my prediction at shortened distances once I run the same routes.

It is all charged now, I just need to get away from work.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have been caught by customs before, but fortunately still won overall.

As to the 305, I have it charging beside me as we speak :d

I got it from Halfords, Web price 139.99, collect from store. Seems to be as good a deal as anywhere and instant hands on.

Now, Hurry up 5pm so I can take it for a test drive. :love:
Yeah, I've been stung by customs before (had to pay an extra £100 on a super smart car stereo I bought .... had it nicked 6 weeks later so lesson learnt :mad: ), but this was fine.

Also remember to watch out for those lamposts as you run along trying out all its new functions :d

·
Registered
516 Posts
You'll love the 305, Hrun. I had one and thought it was great, sold it with the intention of buying the 405 but haven't gotten round to it yet. The HRM does the business (although I was shocked to note my heart rate peak at over 200bpm!!) and you won't find any innacury with the GPS, as surely GPS is as accurate as it gets!

I can recommend MotionBased as a quality site for recording your data too.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
so Hrun how did it go? :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm back :d:'(

Okay the good stuff. It works great and I felt really professional running with it. It is lighter than it looks and the phone the Mrs is making me carry after dissappearing for two hours tuesday is more cumbersome.

The bad stuff. It is a sod to read when running. If I dont hold it in front of me I cant see it as it is below my glasses and the text is way small. Whereas the simple Sportsband is fine. This could be way dangerous so I will probably leave the analyzing until I get home.

It is as I thought:

My 6.5 mile run on the sportsband is actually 5.97 miles. Thus the pace is slower too. What was interesting wearing both (yes I did :cool:) was that the sportsband suffered so much from changes in stride. The pace appeared to be constant whereas in reallity it varied wildly depending on the gradient. As I changed my stride the pace got more or less accurate and at times was spot on.

I still hold the Spotsband is a great indicator and motivator for the recreational runner and I would recommend one to anyone. But, when you are a serious athlete like myself :p you need the accuracy as it could be the difference between placing 343rd or 344th :worried:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Glad you like it Hrun :)

There is the option to change the displays to show different bits of information - so you could just show 1 or 2 different fields of information on the screen at a time which will ultimately means the readouts are bigger :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
sounds like you had a great time with your new toy, like Richrad says you can have 3 different screens all display different needs from 4 little screens to just 1 big one and they are easy to scroll through even when running.

I am sure you will discover all this though.

:d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't even started yet :d

All I did yesterday was run wearing it and then spend the evening looking at my route on Googlemaps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts