Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been running in fits and spurts for ages now, but have recently taken to running more regularly. I have been running 3 times a week for 2 weeks, and have been running about 5.5k in 33-34 mins. I think this works out to be about a 10min mile. After each run I get blisters on the insides of my feet, so I obviously roll my feet in when I run. I am running in my old netball trainers at the moment although I did buy a pair of asics in the sale at january, they are stability ones- they need breaking in. I have two main questions:
1. I'd like to run for 1 hour non stop eventually, should I just build it up gradually - i.e add a few minutes a week until I get there?I don;t really know how to go about it
2. Should I go and get some proper trainers for running or should I just stick with my new asics and break them in to see if they are better first? If i need new ones, where in London is best/cheapest to get them from(am a bit strapped for cash atm!).
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Claire

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Welcome,
Get your gait analysed so at least you know what ype of shoe you need - if you are a bit strapped for cash you can always take the shops advice but buy on the net. Blisters aren't a reliable indication of overpronation.

Aim to add 5 - 10 minutes each week to your longest run - never increase by more than 10% each week. Have a look at some training plans www.halhigdon.com and aim to do a race within the next 8 weeks or so to keep you motivated.

There a re lots of running shops in London: Sweatshop, Run & Become, London Marathon Store, Runners Need...there are probably more but start with these you can google them to get their addresses.

Enjoy your running.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum and by the sounds of things your doing well already with your running.

Entering a race of either 5 or 10k this will give you an incentive to keep running plus the feeling of completing a race is fantastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twinkle toes said:
Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum and by the sounds of things your doing well already with your running.

Entering a race of either 5 or 10k this will give you an incentive to keep running plus the feeling of completing a race is fantastic.
Hi thanks for both of your replies. I will add 5mins a week, and aim for a 10k maybe in august? I will have a look on the net and register. I think I will go to a running shop at the weekend and get a proper fitting for shoes, it will be worth the money in the long run!
Thanks again!
Claire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts