Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running for about a year. I feel like I want to run a race of some sort, but there are so many, I don't know where to start, what distance I should go for, how I work out a training schedule for it... any advice would be welcome.

Btw, what's a sticky?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wild1 what are you doing in training at the moment?

A sticky is a thread that stays at the top of the forum, so not being pushed down by other threads.

·
Registered
105 Posts
For sensible advice i would need to know how far you are doing as a long run and your weekly milage. Also your location would help for us to recommend particular events.
In general you should not try to race further than your longest run and no more than half your weekly milage. The type of race will depend on how you feel - the big events will have crowds cheering you on but can be a bit intimidating (and expensive), whereas a small local event will give you less pressure and a warmer welcome.
Of course the best event to try would be the Long Eaton 5 miler but that isn't until June 11th. :d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment I run on average 3 or 4 times a week, varying distances of between 4 and 8 miles. I suppose I do about 18 to 20 miles most weeks, although some weeks a lot less.

·
Registered
59 Posts
training schedule

You sound like you are in a similar boat as myself. I been running for nearly 2 years, and never entered into a competitive race.
I run a similar milage as you too.
I've recently joined a local running club, they have offered me a world of advice and tips. I was a bit embarrassed to go at first but I was made to feel quite welcome.
Most clubs generally cater for all abilities.
They should be able to advise you on any local races and give you ideas for goal setting and the likes.
Also, I bought the Runners Hand Book by Bob Glover it is a very good read, you can pick bits from each chapter and there are different training plans which you can use as a guide.
Plus, the guys on this and other forums are very, very knowledgable. so the worlds your oyster.
Good luck!

stupot:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wild1 - No hesitation in recommending to you to go enter a race - just go do it. Something like a 10km as that sounds well in your range at present. Better still enter 3 of them over 3 months - that way you'll have a natural path to follow towards trying to get faster! Also feel free to watch FLM live or on telly - or any of your local races - you'll see all sorts of folk that turn up to race!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think a sticky is a post that always stays at the top of the discussion board even though no-ones written to it recently - I think admin's the only person who does these?

If not then maybe it's attached to a branchy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts