Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Well as most of you will know I took part in the Edinburgh Marathon last weekend and I have now got the marathon bug!
Im going to try and get a place in the FLM09 but want to do it for a charity. This year I ran the Edinburgh Marathon for the RNLI Lifeboats and next year my charity is going to be for one of the Cancer related ones as this is something close to my heart.

But the problem is, there are so many of them I can't decided which one to run for.

Macmillan
Cancer Research
Marie Curie
Breast Cancer Care
Maggies

Macmillan and Cancer Research UK are probably the two closest to me but I can't decided.

Anyone help me make the decision so I can get my application form away :)

Ta.
O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I did my first London Marathon for Macmillan Nurses as my younger brother's girlfriend, just 24 at the time, died of cancer but received great support from MN.

All worthy causes of course.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
All very worthy causes indeed! I ran my first half marathon for Breakthrough Breast Cancer and I hope to run for a charity again in the future (possibly a marathon or ultra-marathon).

This may well sound quite stupid to someone more knowledgeable... but do these charities share information on their research? Whilst I agree they're all great causes, it's not fantastically efficient if they end up doing the same research to get the same results etc... :embarrassed:

I sincerely hope that one day we can find a cure for this cruel disease, and well done O for deciding to raise money for one of these charities.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
While the charities do great work, cancer research confuses me. I would have thought the big pharmaceutical companies would invest billions and have found a cure or a range of highly effective treatments without side effects - but maybe there is more money in palliative care drugs which is why it is left to charities to look for a cure (ooh cynical head on today!!!)

I would go for Marie Curie as they make such a difference to the lives of people in the here and now, enabling families to get much needed rest when terminally ill relatives have chosen to die at home - I am seeing this first hand with my mum, although it's a bit strange as they gave her weeks to live last September and she's still with us and the Marie Curie nurses have been fantastic (I ran the Great MCR run for Marie Curie, am doing the Great Yorkshire one for Macmillan as they have also helped a lot) :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
The reason I have chosen a Cancer related charity is my 2 grandfathers died from Cancer and my mother currently has Cancer. Its obviously in our family.

I would like to help with research and also the here and now but I guess its one at a time :) I think I will try and get a place with Macmillan for the FLM.

Im not sure why its down to charities to find a cure, it does annoy me but maybe we're just not told all the facts about the amount of work the big companies put in for research....who knows.

Im still open to ideas on which charity to go for though.......if only there was just the one charity :)

O.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Owain

It is hard to choose from the charities you have listed, they all do a fantastic job. Macmillan do amazing work and I know of lots of people who they ahve supported, so that would be my vote, however, it is a very personal choice for each individual. Good luck with your choice.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, the problem I have now is even if I do apply for a place, its not guarenteed and from what I have read on the website I need to wait until October before I can apply for a place, since I didnt get my name in to the ballot.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Could always do a different marathon to raise cash...don't have to do a biggie!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
There are a few other decent sized marathons in GB.....or what about Paris? Is about a week or so before/after London so you could train with London bound runners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts