Runners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I'm getting back into running again (5-10k, 3 times a week) - I've got a pair of Asics Gel Foundations which fit well, but I also want to get some waterproof shoes for the mixed surfaces (some pavement and light trails) I'll be pounding over autumn/winter.

I'm finding it very hard to identify shoes that are not only wide but are also supportive AND are goretex. I've just had to send back a pair of Adidas Terrex Agravics because they're too narrow.

The only ones I've found so far are Salomon XA Pro 3D V8 (2E width) Goretex - can anyone recommend alternatives?
I also have a lightweight support insole that I sometime use, so I suppose I could get away with neutral shoes too. I've tried waterproof socks in the past, but prefer a GTX shoe.

Any thoughts / tips greatly welcomed!

Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi there - just posting this in case useful - Trail Running Running Shoes for Wide Feet (northernrunner.com)

I can't see any specifically with Goretex but a few brands here you may wish to consider for wide feet and there should be plenty providing the protection your looking for!

Good luck finding your winter shoe!

Hello everyone.

I'm getting back into running again (5-10k, 3 times a week) - I've got a pair of Asics Gel Foundations which fit well, but I also want to get some waterproof shoes for the mixed surfaces (some pavement and light trails) I'll be pounding over autumn/winter.

I'm finding it very hard to identify shoes that are not only wide but are also supportive AND are goretex. I've just had to send back a pair of Adidas Terrex Agravics because they're too narrow.

The only ones I've found so far are Salomon XA Pro 3D V8 (2E width) Goretex - can anyone recommend alternatives?
I also have a lightweight support insole that I sometime use, so I suppose I could get away with neutral shoes too. I've tried waterproof socks in the past, but prefer a GTX shoe.

Any thoughts / tips greatly welcomed!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kev. I'd seen the Northern Runner page before and it seems that the only GTX / all weather wide shoe is the Altra Lone Peak, which is a 'zero drop' shoe. Not sure whether that's any good for someone needing a support shoe?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes I would be careful with zero drop. I had considered trying Altra a few years ago as I think I have quite wide feet myself. Agreed, that if you need support I wouldn't go minimalist!

I have always heard Adidas are narrow hence I've never tried them.

I think Hoka could be a good shout because they often have a specific wide foot option. And they always have good support. Might be worth looking into something like the Speedgoat range if you haven't already? Not sure on weather proofing though.

Sorry if this isn't helpful!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I would be careful with zero drop. I had considered trying Altra a few years ago as I think I have quite wide feet myself. Agreed, that if you need support I wouldn't go minimalist!

I have always heard Adidas are narrow hence I've never tried them.

I think Hoka could be a good shout because they often have a specific wide foot option. And they always have good support. Might be worth looking into something like the Speedgoat range if you haven't already? Not sure on weather proofing though.

Sorry if this isn't helpful!
That's super helpful, thanks Kev. I'll look at Hoka. Cheers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have tried goretex in the past and never been entirely sure about them. I like the thought of them but water can easily come in over the top and ot then struggles to get our through the fabric. I tend to stick with normal shoes for all my runs (road, trail and Scottish mud) on the principle that my feet will end up wet no matter what.

Salomon used to do some good goretex shoes, not sure if they still do.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is Salomon XA Pro 3D waterproof?

·
Registered
9 Posts
II like the thought of them but water can easily come in over the top and ot then struggles to get our through the fabric. I tend to stick with normal shoes for all my runs (road, trail and Scottish mud) on the principle that my feet will end up wet no matter what.
^^^ This.

I work on the assumption, whether running or cycling, that my feet are likely to get wet.

Have a dry pair of socks and shoes to swap into at the end of your run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts