Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purely out of curiosity I was wondering what the main influence was to make you decide which marathon schedule to follow.
I'm still fairly new to marathon running and this will be my third.
I've decided to up my overall mileage on this occasion and am using an intermediate schedule as opposed to the novice I used in the past.
Do the more experienced marathoners amongst us stick to the same schedule every time or do you vary them?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I tend to go by my own schedule having looked at what I did before and comparing with schedules such as Hal Higdon's.
This time I intend to do hillwork/speedwork once a week to add some variety even though I hate it!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I believe for marathons n stuff there are different schedules for different times say for example if you are looking for a sub 4 hr - are you hoping to finish in a certain time Hotfoot?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Whilst being entirely self-coached I must admit to frequently dipping into Bob Glover's 'Competitive Runner's Handbook' which I acquired at a very early stage of my jogging/running career. Forget the word 'Competitive' in the title, it's a book for runners of all standards. It not only provided me with limitless knowledge, more than any coach could have given me, it forced me off my backside to get out there and do it. I never kept to it's recommended schedules, preferring to do what I thought best and within my limitations, to achieve my goals. What I mainly got from this book was inspiration, but the schedules are there for those who need them.
Amazon currently have it on sale at the reduced price of £7.50. Buy it. It could turn you into a world class runner.
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have the book also, which I am following the half marathon schedule, and this time I am doing all the speed work and hill training like you steve don't like it very much either, but for some strange reason am relishing the challenge, but still early days :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.
I just looked at the Hal Higdon site Steve and for the level that I'm at, the training seems to be on a par with Bob glover's.
I suppose that generally the schedules will be similar and are going to reflect training depending on your ultimate goal.Previously I've expected too much in the way of results from my program.
I suppose a mixture of fear of overdoing it and being happy to complete the distance on the day have had an influence on my choices in the past.
This time I am aiming for more longer runs and I hope that this will be the key to not adopting a walk/run strategy for the last 3 or 4 miles.So annoying!
My aim this time Steady Edwina is to complete the course without walking,by doing this my time will hopefully be sub 4hrs which I was on course for last year.
Running Fox.I too have Bob Glovers book and like you say,It has great information.
I think the thing that I've found with running is that there is an abundance of information available,sometimes conflicting.I'm still learning about my own capabilities and thats possibly why It can be confusing sometimes.In black and white it's fine in practice,not always so!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
At the end of the day it's a game of two halves...oops sorry wrong forum!

It's a case of trial and error and what suits you in terms of ability,motivation and time. For instance a lot of people say you shoudn't drink coffee before a run but I always have.

Having to walk/run the last few miles of a marathon is frustrating...I think the only way round that is to make sure you do 3 20+milers in training........piece of cake!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve said:
At the end of the day it's a game of two halves...oops sorry wrong forum!

It's a case of trial and error and what suits you in terms of ability,motivation and time. For instance a lot of people say you shoudn't drink coffee before a run but I always have.

Having to walk/run the last few miles of a marathon is frustrating...I think the only round that is to make sure you do 3 20+milers in training........piece of cake!

Cheers Steve.
3x 20 milers and a piece of cake.it aint all bad then!
It's going to be more mileage for me this time:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
hot foot said:
Cheers Steve.
3x 20 milers and a piece of cake.it aint all bad then!
It's going to be more mileage for me this time:eek: :eek:
Miles and miles and miles and miles
I can see for miles and miles......

Sends you mad all this marathon training and it's only week 2!

More the mileage more the fruit cake!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts