Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- or what will you admit to taking? Although I'm not really in favour of 'vitamin' supplements (because I think there are enough in my normal diet) I'll admit to a couple of things I take to keep my ancient legs from seizing up.
The first is a combined Evening Primrose Oil and Cod Liver Oil capsule (500 mgms of each) from Boots. I believe they're currently on offer at £5 for 150 capsules. My partner and I have been taking them for years. If we don't take them we can guarentee knee pain in about four days.
Also, we both take Glucosamine morning and night to keep our joints reasonably supple. I reckon they must work. We're still getting into the prizes - which isn't bad considering we've 134 years between us!
Cheers!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I take Omega 3,6 and 9 and a multi vitamin and mineral supplement as I have a very small appetite therefore I like to make sure I am getting what I require to keep me going.

My dad (who is 78) takes Glucosamine and has recently discovered Devils Claw which he swears by ....he has a bad knee and on a recent visit to the hospital for a check up the Doctor said he could not believe my dad was still walking as the X-ray showed a very delapidated knee which was rubbing bone on bone!! My dad swears it is the 'Devils Claw' which has taken any paid he once had away.....anyone else use this herb?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I take glucosamine, flaxseed oil and cod liver oil, the oils are mostly because i don't eat fish, so they provide me with fatty acids.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I just take a Cod Liver Oil + Multi-vitamin pill.

I don't bother with anything else, as I try to get my nourishment from real food, as opposed to supplements.

My GP also told my mum, who has bad arthritis, that glucosamine isn't worth the money, so I haven't bothered trying it myself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I take glucosamine after my knee cartilage operations - and it works for me. When I stop taking it then my knees start feeling as though they haven't enough joint fluid. Maybe one day I'll wean myself off the glucosamine as I'm sure I won't need to take it forever. But for now, it still makes a difference, and I can feel it.

I also take magnesium and calcium. The magnesium helps controls menopausal symptoms, and the calcium is because osteoarthritis runs in my family but as I don't eat much in the line of dairy products (that ruddy menopausal stuff again), I'm banking in some calcium for future years.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even though there is a lot of bad press surrounding glucomasamone, I take it morning and night, I also take cod liver oil, and an iron supplement. Not too convinced by the iron supplement, as I have heard that most of it is destroyed in the stomach......

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boab said:
Not too convinced by the iron supplement, as I have heard that most of it is destroyed in the stomach......
Sometimes, when I'm feeling lethargic, short of energy, not able to train as I feel I ought, or not performing well enough in races, I'll take an iron supplement for a limited period. The one I use is Ferrograd C, a prolonged release tablet with 500 mgms of Vitamin C to aid absorption. It is film coated - so should pass through the stomach without being destroyed. It's best to have words with your doctor before taking it, particularly if you're on any other form of medication.
Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts