Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and a very Happy belated New Year to you all...hope everyone had nice Christmas and New Year.

im off to buy a new watch to use when running/walking can anyone recommend one that counts the steps/calories etc? ta ta....:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nellie said:
Hi guys and a very Happy belated New Year to you all...hope everyone had nice Christmas and New Year.

im off to buy a new watch to use when running/walking can anyone recommend one that counts the steps/calories etc? ta ta....:d

Hi Nellie,

Happy New Year. Afraid I can't help you on the watch front though! When I first started running I bought one that 'did it all' When I got it home the instructions were in such small type (my eyes aren't bad either) that I had to bring them to work and photocopy them and enlarge the print. Well I'm not all 'dumb blonde' (Steve?) but I could not understand the instructions! my collegues couldn't either. I decided to use the stopwatch part though, but the display started breaking up. So guess what....I took it back and bought a plain stopwatch.

So good luck!!!

Lyn.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Well I'm not all 'dumb blonde' (Steve?) but I could not understand the instructions! my collegues couldn't either. I decided to use the stopwatch part though, but the display started breaking up. So guess what....I took it back and bought a plain stopwatch.

So good luck!!!

Lyn.
If not all Bagpuss what part is?!!;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
When you're not having "blonde moments" do you have "pink moments"?

Yes, 'pink moments' normally the colour of my cheeks!........the ones on my face that is, due to embarrassment.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Not pink stripes then.
Surely you never do anything to make your face pink...do you?
Well running makes my face pink now, just started out again this week, after 6 weeks off. I have a brand new pair of Asics, only done a couple of 3 milers so far, but watch this space!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nice to see you back Bagpuss.

You'll not get any sense out of these two Nellie. I don't know about counting steps and calories - that would involve a pedometer which are not very accurate.

I have a timex ironman, which is great as it does intervals, laps etc and they come in girlie colours as well. I also got a polar HRM monitor for christmas that does calories but not steps. Polar do some running specific HRM that measure distance using a footpod but they are quite expensive - it all depends on how much you were looking to pay Nellie?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone I think I will go into the sports shop and see what advice they have.. the pedometer seems to be the thing i'm looking for although as you say SE not sure how accurate they are.

Loving the banter again Bagpuss and Steve!!!
Welcome back Bagpuss glad your up and running again....take it slow
Best wishes

Lyn

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nellie I tried using a pedometer but it was rubbish. You need to calibrate them to your stride length and as you stride can vary over distance its widely inaccurate. If you are interested in measuring distance I'd think about a speed distance monitor.

Have a look at www.heartratemonitor.co.uk and www.redlionsports.co.uk

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Well running makes my face pink now, just started out again this week, after 6 weeks off. I have a brand new pair of Asics, only done a couple of 3 milers so far, but watch this space!
I've been sat here "watching this space" since last night and not seen a thing Bagpuss!!:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss said:
I'm just slowly working myself up to a PB.......for this week anyway!
Well as long as you don't go too pink and light up the street whilst you're pbing you'll be fine!

I'll keep watching this space!:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Well as long as you don't go too pink and light up the street whilst you're pbing you'll be fine!

I'll keep watching this space!:d
Taking it slowly, hope to be back on form within a few weeks, but illness and Christmas has taken its toll!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts